PM-1440TL shipping mishap

Sorry to see that, again.

Sorry for the misfortune man. I feel like a sissy hearing about this knowing I whine to myself waiting on my mill until mid juneish

Somebody must have been careless during the shipping. "Hey there's a brand new lathe in there, lets use it as a football!" Good on you for refusing it.

Wow, what a disappointment. I would be very interested to hear how all this gets rectified - especially how the shipping company and insurance aspect settle out and who ends up eating the costs involved.

That is why shipping companies have insurance. This is completely on them and they will have to file a claim. If this was an LTL shipment, they will track the cross dock scans and somebody is getting fired.

This happens all the time. It’s sad but true. The only recourse you have that won’t add more grief is to do exactly what you did- refuse the shipment. Their problem not yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How could the shipper even try to deliver that!
My thought exactly. I feel for the poor guy who had to show up with that mess just to have you refuse it. They should have filed the claim and sent you pictures (and an apology), not gone through the motions of what any supervisor would have realized was just a waste of time and manpower.

JOhn

My stomach dropped when I read your post. I feel really bad for you. The 1440 TL is a nice lathe so the extra wait time will be worth it.

@jeremysf

I'm wondering if you had to rent that fork truck and you will be out rental fee?

I'm happy that you refused delivery. I think it's the best way to proceed. If you had accepted delivery you would have risked a lot of your leverage.

PM has been amazing through this. Not just responsive and empathetic, but where it really counts: helping me get a new lathe!

Since the 1440TL is on back order into September, they helped me with an upgrade to the 1640TL (which is available in June), giving me a few discounts along the way.

None of this is on them; they didn’t need to do anything. Not only did they get things sorted out, they helped me resolve it on the same day!

So, I need to wait a little longer, but looking forward to getting a really great machine.

On the forklift front, I almost would have preferred to be out the money on a rental. Instead my buddy had trailered his forklift from his farm 1.5 hours away (and back), drove it for me (to unload that mess off and back onto the truck). Feel super bad for wasting his time, but will work to fix that with a case of beers, some BBQ, and eventually, some free machining :)

I’m curious, what was the drivers response?

Looking closely at the photos... I could be wrong but it looks like the shipping company added a couple of pallets to the load to help hold broken and loose parts in, and then wrapped the new additions. Repackaging is a sure sign the lathe was dropped or something was dropped on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's still a bummer, but I'm glad that Matt and the gang could help relieved the pain a smidge. I will be shipping something soon, may I ask what shipping company? If I use the same one, I'll reinforce proper handling. My 1340 came with no drama, but it's all in the hands of the dock goons I guess, my Doall saw was dropped, and broken. It's a gamble....

Back