PM-1440TL shipping mishap

I’m curious, what was the drivers response?

Looking closely at the photos... I could be wrong but it looks like the shipping company added a couple of pallets to the load to help hold broken and loose parts in, and then wrapped the new additions. Repackaging is a sure sign the lathe was dropped or something was dropped on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely agreed! It was dropped at some point.
The plastic wrap was an attempt to contain the mess. Why any firm would continue to try and deliver the wreckage is odd, unless they they were unaware of actual breakage of the internals.

@jeremysf : You must know that in company like this, it's like it happened to us too. We feel what you feel!

The plastic wrap was an attempt to contain the mess. Why any firm would continue to try and deliver the wreckage is odd, unless they they were unaware of actual breakage of the internals.
I'm not sure about shipping practices in GB, but it isn't odd at all. In fact, it is the norm in the US when a forklift driver drops, spears or crushes a crate or skid of packages. Or the package shifts in the trailer. The SOP is to Contain, Mask, Pray and Deliver. You can tell this happened here:

1) Contain. The loose wrap and skids propped up inside indicate that the job done by PM was destroyed. This was an attempt to prevent any loose parts from getting loose upon delivery. This is not designed to mask damage. It is designed to protect them from you making a claim that something was missing - damaged or not. If it was damaged, the shipping company will play dumb and blame the manufacturer.

2) Mask. The damaged skid was loaded with its best side showing on the truck. This is a tactic designed to do the following: get it off the truck (its a lot of trouble to get it off the truck). Once it is off the truck, the OWNER now has the burden of inspecting and deciding to refuse. I'll wager that driver played dumb while @jeremysf weighed his options.

3) Pray that you are a dupe and accept the shipment and won't go travel through the hellscape of filing a claim. Don't answer their prayers.

4) Delivery! All is good. "Recipient inspected and accepted the shipment as is." Nothing to see here - moving on.

It's cynical, for sure, but this is what the shipping company defaults to when the SHTF and they know they are on the hook for it. Don't find yourself downwind from the fan.

@jeremysf - good call. Sorry for the grief you are going through but in the end it will all work out in your favor.

... Once it is off the truck, the OWNER now has the burden of inspecting and deciding to refuse. I'll wager that driver played dumb while @jeremysf weighed his options.
I doubt that drivers stand around and monitor their truck being loaded. They very likely load the trucks third shift, or in the morning, and by the time the drivers arrive, it's loaded and ready to go. I don't know anything about trucking terminals, but that's how I'd run it. It would mean that the driver is caught out just like the buyer.

I doubt that drivers stand around and monitor their truck being loaded. They very likely load the trucks third shift, or in the morning, and by the time the drivers arrive, it's loaded and ready to go. I don't know anything about trucking terminals, but that's how I'd run it. It would mean that the driver is caught out just like the buyer.
You are right, however, the driver makes frequent stops throughout the day and on occasion can find themselves reloading the truck in order to make other deliveries. They often have seen the damage long before they get to the destination. Not saying that happened here, but I've had plenty of conversations with drivers about what goes on and they know the rules.

@jeremysf - were you the first stop? Or was the truck empty or partially filled with other shipments? Scratch that question. Not your problem now.

Bummer dude, I'm sorry to see that. Keeping my fingers crossed the next one shows up in perfect condition.

jeremysf, you're right, "There are for sure bigger problems in the world right now than damaged lathes," but this still sucks, we all feel the frustration and the disappointment you must have felt, the good news is, you still have something to look forward to , a bigger better lathe is a dream for many , yours is about to come true.
Send us pictures when you get the new one.

Back