PM-833TV unload and install

Apologies for the slow response, but I thought I'd close this one off.

I loosened, then tightened the z gib as suggested and got back to a similar result with 0.001" play with the gib at its tightest, there was no room left to go tighter.

For the X&Y play, I measured vertical movement on the table directly over the left hand Y dovetail. That was measuring the combined X & Y dovetail vertical play with me lifting, leaning on the the end of the table. I measured 0.0015". That was with the gibs adjusted.

I did get a response from PM tech support, but it was just as vague as the manual. The response was that the Z movement I measured was 'very good'.

cheers

Andrew

Apologies for the slow response, but I thought I'd close this one off.

I loosened, then tightened the z gib as suggested and got back to a similar result with 0.001" play with the gib at its tightest, there was no room left to go tighter.

For the X&Y play, I measured vertical movement on the table directly over the left hand Y dovetail. That was measuring the combined X & Y dovetail vertical play with me lifting, leaning on the the end of the table. I measured 0.0015". That was with the gibs adjusted.

I did get a response from PM tech support, but it was just as vague as the manual. The response was that the Z movement I measured was 'very good'.

cheers

Andrew
Thank you for the update. I have yet to measure play in my table.

And, good to know that PM is okay with your 0.001" measurement.

@AllenV the Tegara 440V vise , I believe that is I the vise I am going to order. Are the 440V Vises as nice as claimed? A good vise will help tame several machine ills, but the price of a Kurt is , well, ouch. I just bought 2 new 6 in hers at work, and the 4 inch is more money then a 6 inch!

Please do a review on the vise.

Aaron

@AllenV the Tegara 440V vise , I believe that is I the vise I am going to order. Are the 440V Vises as nice as claimed? A good vise will help tame several machine ills, but the price of a Kurt is , well, ouch. I just bought 2 new 6 in hers at work, and the 4 inch is more money then a 6 inch!

Please do a review on the vise.

Aaron
I am not sure I now how to review a vise. I can say I am very happy with it in the few months I have had it and the mill.

Prior to this, on my old RF45 clone, I had a 5" asian no-name Kurt clone bought out of the Enco catalog, back when Enco existed. That was "okay". But the Tegara 440V is much nicer. The round column was never a machine to fret ten-thousanths. I have never used a Kurt so...

To my eye and hands, the build quality is very nice. The edges are all nicely chamfered except for the jaws. Those are super sharp. I have not noticed lift. But then, I have not been looking for it. Still early times in our relationship. The jaws have not shifted or bound when items were clamped off to one side.

When selecting this new vise I tried to identify vises that would work well and allow me to extract everything the PM-833TV has to give. That short list was Kurt, Glacern, and Tegara. The Kurt is just painfully expensive new. Refurbishing an old vise does not interest me. It seemed, based on various post in this forum, that the Tegara and Glacern 4" vises are both very nice and would suit me well. (Projects like building IC model engines) While the Glacern is more expensive, I tried to ignore that price difference. The deciding factors mainly jaw opening, Tegara 6", Glacern 4.5", and warranty. Both seem to have a good supply of spare parts and different jaws. 95% of it was jaw opening. I have already had 4" pieces in there, with room to spare. (Actually two 2" parts clamped side-to-side and milled together.)

I put a bunch of existing images below. If you want specific info, measurement, or photo, just ask.

click thru to the "Tegara Catalog"

Attachments

• IMG_1747.jpeg
    IMG_1747.jpeg
    314.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1786.jpeg
    IMG_1786.jpeg
    333.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1787.jpeg
    IMG_1787.jpeg
    349 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1794.jpeg
    IMG_1794.jpeg
    398.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1803.jpeg
    IMG_1803.jpeg
    302.7 KB · Views: 33
I was just out there and took a few close up shots. I set some 2x2 inch square tubes in the jaws. yesterday I was clamping a pair of tubes together and squaring them off to matched length. 3 tubes fit well in the 6-inch opening

That is an edge speed handle. The one they make to fit the 4-inch Kurt vise.

Attachments

• IMG_1877.jpeg
    IMG_1877.jpeg
    337.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1876.jpeg
    IMG_1876.jpeg
    293.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1875.jpeg
    IMG_1875.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1874.jpeg
    IMG_1874.jpeg