Pm 940v

After the good results i double and triple checked. Tipton was right it has to be something with the gibs. Even when the gib is adjusted so tight that i dont feel comfortable manually raising the head theres still a bunch of play with the locks. The variation changes so the gib seems to be moving around.

Ill have to call pm later and ask for their procedure because the manual doesnt have anything about that going on. Anyone have an easy way to get the Z axis gib off this beast without removing the head?

lathe gibbs I've pulled apart have recesses where the screws go in. you have to back the screws way out, or fully out. can you support the head with a large block of wood and remove the screws and then pull it out or tap it out with some type of thinner drive plate?

then again, if there is debris in there causing the problem you'd want to take it completely off to clean everything properly.

I agree yota. I wouldnt doubt some kind of paint being in there. Overspray was abundant. Its hard to make it out in the pics but the gib on top(first pic) had a more shallow angle for the adjustment screw seat. The one on the bottom is a lot more steep. It looks like it had been broken. Probably pushing on the gib uneven. Idk i dont think it would make it move as much as it does when i lock it. Unless it just cant adjust at all...

Attachments

• 20210913_165519.jpg
    20210913_165519.jpg
    744.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 20210913_170005.jpg
    20210913_170005.jpg
    919.4 KB · Views: 95
Make yourself a saddle to hold the head. Below is a photo of the one I made for my RF-45. Once the head is off and to the side, you should find it easy enough to remove the gib and get the backing plate off of the column. Then you can check for paint and body filler overspray on the dovetails, etc. As for the gib itself, I would stone it, get all the burrs removed, and then blue it up and test how it seats on the two dovetail surfaces - you can do that without the head mounted. You might have to do some filing to get it to fit well, but it's worth the effort. Have you checked that the XY table X and Y axis run perpendicular to each other as covered in the video I posted earlier?

Picture 007 copy.jpg

Make yourself a saddle to hold the head. Below is a photo of the one I made for my RF-45. Once the head is off and to the side, you should find it easy enough to remove the gib and get the backing plate off of the column. Then you can check for paint and body filler overspray on the dovetails, etc. As for the gib itself, I would stone it, get all the burrs removed, and then blue it up and test how it seats on the two dovetail surfaces - you can do that without the head mounted. You might have to do some filing to get it to fit well, but it's worth the effort. Have you checked that the XY table X and Y axis run perpendicular to each other as covered in the video I posted earlier?

View attachment 378295
David, i just ordered a precision square today. Cant wait to get it. Seems to make alignment faster. Definitely should have taken care of that first. Now i see why you said that Haha.

Its seems like im going to be taking good ol mothra apart. Maybe i should wait for the square first...

David,
I just noticed your signature -"Kappa 400 Xmotion sliding table saw" and 'I'm single".
I got a good belly laugh out of that one.
I checked out that saw. Holy com man, that is sweet.
Hahaha. I'm moderator of the Felder Ownsers Group forum. And I wrote the book on how to set up and commission their saws: http://www.davidpbest.com/Publications.htm

Shop Tour Video is here:

The Kappa 400 xMotion is a nice machine.

I agree yota. I wouldnt doubt some kind of paint being in there. Overspray was abundant. Its hard to make it out in the pics but the gib on top(first pic) had a more shallow angle for the adjustment screw seat. The one on the bottom is a lot more steep. It looks like it had been broken. Probably pushing on the gib uneven. Idk i dont think it would make it move as much as it does when i lock it. Unless it just cant adjust at all...
that sure looks like a crack in the cast iron.
PM940 crack_LI.jpg

Back