PM1030 tripping breakers on startup

My new (November) PM1022V (same as 1030V minus 8 inches) has recently started tripping the breaker randomly on startup, otherwise it runs fine. The electrical panel is 4 feet away with a 20 amp breaker. There are no other significant loads on the circuit. It's time for me to call the techs at PM.

Very interested to hear this, please post your findings. I bought mine used, its less than a year old but makes me ineligible for free replacement parts. However if its determined this is a recall or larger problem it changes my view.

What brand panel and breakers are you using? Mine tripped both a 'skinny' and regular size single pole GE Q-line 20 amp breaker. I've used it for a week or so and NO trips on a skinny GE Q-line 30amp breaker. None of above are GFI or Arc Fault. All of above are new, genuine GE (presuming home depot doesn't sell knock offs). I don't say that to imply they are gods gift to manufacturing technology. This is an 80's GE Load Center panel and I'm guessing the $4.50 breakers are made abroad.

My new (November) PM1022V (same as 1030V minus 8 inches) has recently started tripping the breaker randomly on startup, otherwise it runs fine. The electrical panel is 4 feet away with a 20 amp breaker. There are no other significant loads on the circuit. It's time for me to call the techs at PM.
Have you tried powering a shop vac or air compressor on the same outlet?

OP: yes I start-stopped a 4.5hp shopvac a dozen times then ran a 1500w heat gun to stress test outlet.

Have you tried powering a shop vac or air compressor on the same outlet?
I loaded the circuit running high powered shopvacs, a Milling machine, 2 heaters, a compressor, a bench grinder with 2 8"x1" wheels, another lathe and the 1022 when working with no problem. I can remove all loads except the 1022 and it trips the breaker randomly when pushing the power button. There is nothing wrong with the power, the problem is with the machine.

100% same here. It either trips INSTANTLY on hitting the power button or not at all.

My PM25MV behaves similarly. 99% of the time turns on fine. But every now and then trips the 20amp GFCI. Nothing else on the branch. Nothing else ever trips it. Once I reset the GFCI, the mill seems to start up fine. My PM1030V, on the same branch, never trips the breaker. -Bill

For all those affected by this problem, I'd like to hear what PM has to say about it. Keep us posted please .................

My PM25MV behaves similarly. 99% of the time turns on fine. But every now and then trips the 20amp GFCI. Nothing else on the branch. Nothing else ever trips it. Once I reset the GFCI, the mill seems to start up fine. My PM1030V, on the same branch, never trips the breaker. -Bill

Does it have a brushless DC motor? Any chance you have a photo of the control board?

Does it have a brushless DC motor? Any chance you have a photo of the control board?
There are photos of the board a couple of pages back. 2 wires to the motor so it is not a brushless DC motor.

You're not talking about my pics are you? That was two wires in from the panel not out to the motor.

Back