Pm1340gt Lathe Basic Vfd Control Conversion Using The Stock Control Board And Switches

Not really and issue since the resistor's I recommend are completely sealed and the wiring is embedded. You could also mount it on the inside of the VFD cabinet which I have seen done. It does not get warm so heat is not an issue. My original 1340GT VFD with the WJ200 had it in the headstock cabinet with the braking resistor mounted to the side, but I quickly went away from that to a separate VFD control cabinet because of all the add-ons needed for full control systems. I have built 1440GT systems with the WJ200 mounted into the headstock cabinet, as well as ERL and TRL lathes using Yaskawa VFDs. It all depends on the the machine, VFD design and functions.
TE Connectivity TJT50068RJ

I have a 1440 GT and I am thinking about going this route. Is it the same? Or is it at least similar?

I have a 1440 GT and I am thinking about going this route. Is it the same? Or is it at least similar?

The specifics for the 1440GT is shown in this thread, which give a step by step recommend procedure. Please note that with all these machines there are some variations as to the wiring and wire color coding. But the same basic idea of using the contactor to switch the VFD low voltage input applies. If you have any specific questions PM me and I can see if I can help.

Attachments

• PM1440GT Basic Wiring Changes for using the Contactors to switch the VFD inputs 23 DEC 2018.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 360
Mark, do you see any reason a Teco L510-203-H1-U wouldn't work for your PM1440GT 3hp upgrade?
Do you think Hitachi VFDs are significantly better and worth the extra cost above the Teco's?

Thanks so much for all your hard work!

Must of missed this question. The Teco L510 is not a good choice for the lathe in my opinion, but I still see a few people using them. There are several limitations, the most significant is that it cannot use an external braking resistor. The braking time difference can be 3-5 seconds, so with an external resistor the lathe can stop in about 1 second, w/o 4-5 seconds from speed. Other issues are limited number of control inputs that make it not suitable for the the 1440GT and limited for the 1340GT. It has 5 inputs, two are used for the for/rev, two for jog for/rev, one for braking rate (1 or 2) if used, the 1440GT needs an additional base block (free run) input and I also use another input for the rapid stop command tied to the E-Stop (On the WJ200 there is the USP command). If using the Teco VFD's then I recommend the E510 for lathes. Also the Teco and most other VFD manufactures use a separate input for the For/Rev Jog if you use a joystick. So the wiring is different then on the WJ200. Teco E510 is also available in a NEMA 4/12 sealed configuration with a power switch but still needs an external braking resistor.

No problem. Thanks for the detailed info. Looks like the WJ200 is the way to go.

So I am brand new here and pretty much new to machining. I don't count making a 6061 ball peen hammer in High school 30+ years ago.;)

I just ordered the PM1236T with a 3ph motor for my home shop and will be doing this modification at some point in the future. I have gone through the entire thread and everything seems mostly understandable and I apologize if this has already been answered but, was there ever a master parts list created for the most recent PDF document. I have the one from March 2nd 2018.

I have updated the VFD enclosure information, but links and parts availability varies. It is more of a component list, plus some misc. items. Some things like wire ferrules and crimpers are not listed but available through multiple sources, if you have a question you can always send a PM. Basic install components are minimal, but depends on what you want to add.

You may want to add a basic tachometer, they are around $15-20 and an enclosure, they need a 12V power source so you can either get a 24VAC to 12VDC converter and connect to the 24VAC output of the transformer or a small 12VDC DIN rail power supply in the VFD enclosure.

Attachments

• VFD enclosure system recommended components for 2-3 Hp VFD 12-22-2019.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 436
  • PM1340GT BASIC VFD CONVERSION USING THE STOCK CONTROL SYSTEM AND CONTROLS revised 24 MAR 2020.pdf
    5.4 MB · Views: 460
Wow! thanks for the quick reply. I will review this stuff as throughly as I can and hopefully have more informed questions in the near future.

Back