Pm1340gt Lathe Basic Vfd Control Conversion Using The Stock Control Board And Switches

If using the Teco VFD's then I recommend the E510 for lathes. Also the Teco and most other VFD manufactures use a separate input for the For/Rev Jog if you use a joystick. So the wiring is different then on the WJ200. Teco E510 is also available in a NEMA 4/12 sealed configuration with a power switch but still needs an external braking resistor.
Deleted

Last edited:
Quick question from a noob. The 3 phase motor on the 1340gt says 9 amps max, but the WJ200-015SF output is 8. Anything I need to be concerned with here?

Quick question from a noob. The 3 phase motor on the 1340gt says 9 amps max, but the WJ200-015SF output is 8. Anything I need to be concerned with here?

It's rated for 150% of max current (12 amps) for up to 60 seconds. I suspect you'll be just fine unless your turning a tank barrel for hours on-end.

You must have gotten a different motor. The nameplate says 9 amps FL? That's closer to a 3HP motor. I think the motor that came on my PM-1340GT was around 6 amps FL.

Now if your going by the manual it says 9 amps input but that isn't motor nameplate. They are just trying to insure you don't power machine with 18 gauge wire.

I believe he's getting that info from the manual. It is rather optimistic compared to the the 2hp motors actual current draw.

From the manual:

Main Motor Horsepower: 2 HP
Voltage / Phase/ Amps: 220 Volt, 1 Phase / 12 Amps Max.
Optional: 220 Volt, 3 Phase / 9 Amps Max

It's actual FL draw, if I remember right is 6.6amps.

@Christianstark

If the 9 amps you mentioned came from the manual, Could you take a look at your motor data plate and verify that you do indeed have a 2hp motor? Perhaps snap a pic of the data plate.

Edited to add:

Now that I'm thinking about it, I just assumed that you have a 2hp motor and were getting your info from the manual. It could be a problem if you actually have a 3hp motor.

Last edited:
The 015 is a 1500 watt drive. 1500 watts/746 watts/HP = 2.01 HP. At 220 volts a 2HP motor would pull around 6.8 amps. One of the settings in the drive limits current to 150% of 1500 watts or around 10.2 amps max. Your actual line voltage is probably > 230 volts, so current draw will actually be lower.

The Pm-1340GT three phase motor is rated at 6.6A (2 Hp). You may be looking at the 1440GT motor or input single phase amps.
PM-1340GT Motor Plate.jpg

Hi All! Ken is indeed correct. I do not have my machines yet, but I am starting up my VFD materials list, so I went to the PM site and got that information from the manual. I am guessing that the manual is either wrong, or the manual referencing 9amps in motor plus other electrical needs. Thanks all for clarifying. WJ200-015SF goes in the shopping cart.

PM-1340GT 3PH PEP is what I have on order.

So I am already up to $700 for VFD and enclosure in my shopping cart, and I am probably forgetting some things.

WOW.

@mksj shoot me a DM to discuss the possibility of having this built out. I am growing somewhat overwhelmed. I sent you a spreadsheet of my cart.

Back