PM45-CNC OWNERS

I am still learning the software and getting the mach3 configuration correct, but I had to try something.

So I got some aluminum and made my first chips. I manually jogged the machine, but exciting nonetheless.

I am still learning the software and getting the mach3 configuration correct, but I had to try something.

So I got some aluminum and made my first chips. I manually jogged the machine, but exciting nonetheless.

Great news. It won't be long before you have it humming along while all you do is watch.

In case you're interested, I've had a non-CNC PM45 for about 5 years. They're darn rugged! I did my first tram on the old machine about 6 months after I got it and it went for about 2 more years before it needed another. About 6 months after that, I pushed a hill climb accidentally and busted a 3/4" carbide endmill that tore the piece out of the vise and sent it flying. Big bright flash when it blew. Oddly enough, the tram was barely effected and I didn't bother re-tramming it for another few months. That said, I usually take careful/conservative cuts and usually use carbide hogger bits because they remove material so well and put less stress on the machine... Still though, I use this machine several times a week and it's holding-up just fine.

The point being, these are rugged machines and last a long time if you're smart about how you use them.

Ray

Does anyone know how to run the mill as a manual mill with the spindle on but without the stepper motors active? I have tried in unchecking them in the configuration page but that didn't work.

Does anyone know how to run the mill as a manual mill with the spindle on but without the stepper motors active? I have tried in unchecking them in the configuration page but that didn't work.

My guess is that you'll need to find the breaker in the panel and kill the power to them.

Ray

I changed the oil in the gear head this evening. It went easier that I expected. There is a little black plat on the bottom side that hid the drain plug. It was easy to remove and the drain plug came right out. Took about 15-20 min before it stopped dripping. When I pulled the plug out there was remnants of some kind of gasket or sealant. It was a little like old Teflon tape but not quite and not much survived. I tried to put some Teflon on the plug before re-inserting it but it bound up after only one turn or so. I pulled the tape off and put the plug back in and it seated after several turns still seeming to not go back in as far as it was so I was a little concerned about it leaking (so far no leaks). The fill plug is under another cover plate next to the top of the spindle where the Draw bar goes in. Big 17mm bolt. I had to "modify" a metal funnel to get between the spindle and the sides of the enclosure but it worked fine. Filled it up to just a tad over the middle of the sight glass. Took a little less than a gallon of ISO 32 hydraulic fluid I got from the local auto parts store. A big thank you to Ray for guidance on this. I guess I should be good for awhile now.

I changed the oil in the gear head this evening. It went easier that I expected. There is a little black plat on the bottom side that hid the drain plug. It was easy to remove and the drain plug came right out. Took about 15-20 min before it stopped dripping. When I pulled the plug out there was remnants of some kind of gasket or sealant. It was a little like old Teflon tape but not quite and not much survived. I tried to put some Teflon on the plug before re-inserting it but it bound up after only one turn or so. I pulled the tape off and put the plug back in and it seated after several turns still seeming to not go back in as far as it was so I was a little concerned about it leaking (so far no leaks). The fill plug is under another cover plate next to the top of the spindle where the Draw bar goes in. Big 17mm bolt. I had to "modify" a metal funnel to get between the spindle and the sides of the enclosure but it worked fine. Filled it up to just a tad over the middle of the sight glass. Took a little less than a gallon of ISO 32 hydraulic fluid I got from the local auto parts store. A big thank you to Ray for guidance on this. I guess I should be good for awhile now.

I am getting close to doing this to mine. Thanks for the tips.

You guys are making me feel bad... I haven't been able to use mine enough to warrant the 1st oil change. -Been too busy with other things...

Anyhow, your machines should be good now for a year or two depending on how much you use it.

Ray

Today I noticed a few drops of oil on the table. It looks like I did not get the drain plug seated well. I did not tighten it too much because it did not feel quite right and I did not want to strip it. It was very awkward to get the right angle and no matter how long I let it drain (over night) it still seemed like it was dripping oil on my hands while I was trying to get it put back in. Anyway it is a very slow drip so I am going to let it be until it gets below the 1/2 way mark on the sight gauge and then I guess I will drain it and try to get the drain plug in better. For now, I am just putting a shop towel on the table to catch the drips

Is anyone still monitoring this thread? I just received my PM45-CNC a couple of days ago and have not been able get Mach3 to accept the Jamen driver. It says bad .dll file when I start Mach3 after installing the Jamen. I suspect it's a Windows 8.1 problem because Matt sent me an older version of the driver and I still get the same message. Has anyone else had such a problem? Thanks, Bill

Back