Pm727 Questions

Those numbers you're looking at are for maximizing operations (cycle times, cutter life, surface finish, etc.), under ideal conditions, on much larger/more rigid machines. None of that has anything to do with hobby machining on much, much smaller machines. :)

When you are dealing with hobby level machines you are much better off listening to the machine/cutter/material interface during cutting. Your mill and/or cutter will tell you when they're happy, if you just listen and observe. This is why I don't install power feeds right away on a new mill. I want to turn the handles, and feel/hear what the mill is doing when it's cutting. This gives me a better idea of it's capabilities than flipping a switch and turning around to take a sip of coffee.

Each machine is different. Some are tighter than others, some are looser. Some are more rigid than others. Some have more power than others. Etc, etc..

So I needed to mill slots in a hardened piece of steel, using a 1/8" ball endmill. On a tiny Sherline mill. I had a honest to goodness machinist tell me it couldn't be done on that 'toy'. He was wrong. ;)

Just a suggestion, but don't overthink this. Get your machine(s), get them set up, and experiment. And have some fun while you're at it. :D

Don't forget reading the chips... The chip will tell you an incredible amount.

I agree with wrmiller. A 5/16" cutter at 3000 RPM is ~245 SFM... I consistently cut 150 SFM or even slower with no issues.

PZ

Don't forget reading the chips... The chip will tell you an incredible amount.

I agree with wrmiller. A 5/16" cutter at 3000 RPM is ~245 SFM... I consistently cut 150 SFM or even slower with no issues.

PZ

Yea, forgot that part. Hey, I'm not perfect. ;)

Just a suggestion, but don't overthink this. Get your machine(s), get them set up, and experiment. And have some fun while you're at it. :D
I see the truth in that!

I just placed an order for the PM-30MV. I guess now I wait 5-6 weeks. I was on the fence between the PM932 and the PM30MV, but it appears the 932 is out of stock for at least 6 months. So, easy decision.

To do:
1. Install 240v
2. Build a stand
3. Buy some tooling :)

BTW thank you everybody who provided input on my questions, that was very helpful.

Outstanding! :)

The wait is the hardest part, but it helps if you have things to occupy your time as you do. Now of course we require a writeup with your impressions of the machine, and sprinkled with lots of pics. :)

After watching a few videos on the PM727 about raising the "Z" axis can be a chore, I was wondering if it is easier to lift and lower on the PM-30 because it has a air spring assist? I have not been able to find any videos or information on this. The PM727 has a bunch of video's on modifying the to a power lift but could not find any on modifying the PM-30. Not an issue of my Sherline.

I saw those same videos, wasn’t really looking forward to that. I had no idea the Pm30mv had a spring assisted head, until you mentioned it (I confirmed it in the manual). Hopefully a PM30 user can chime in on that, otherwise I’ll let you know when it arrives

I saw those same videos, wasn’t really looking forward to that. I had no idea the Pm30mv had a spring assisted head, until you mentioned it (I confirmed it in the manual). Hopefully a PM30 user can chime in on that, otherwise I’ll let you know when it arrives
OK is it 6 weeks yet?

OK is it 6 weeks yet?

Sounds like a car trip with the kids.......Are we there yet? I'm pretty sure this will be the longest six weeks ever but to make you feel better, Just a few more days! :cower:

Back