Pm727m and face milling

I have to correct something. The Superfly has a cutting diameter of 3", not 6". Not sure why my brain got stuck on 6".

Birthdays, not beers.....

Without knowing your machine and needs its hard to say but for most hobby shops I think the Superfly or similar fly cutter is the best choice. It will allow you to quickly surface and flatten a work piece up to 6" per pass and larger in multiple passes, and smaller work pieces just as well. You can bring a work piece close to dimensions with this tool too because it can hog off material, trust me. For smaller mills like most hobbyists own the Superfly is a good choice because it cuts with such low HP requirements and it will give you are pretty decent finish. For all these reasons, I think the Superfly or similar fly cutter is a good all around choice. Insert life is actually quite good; I've been using this fly cutter for several years now and am still on the same inserts I started with. Given that almost every work piece I've made since I bought it was squared with this thing, that's not a bad track record.

I think the Sherline tool is a good choice for those of us who need a small tool that can cut ledges. This is an important capability in my opinion. It is also good for when you are squaring smaller work pieces and you don't need a big fly cutter whirling around. I choose it when I need to square a work piece that is an inch or two wide. The inserts have only two usable tips but they last quite a while in a hobby shop. The same insert will cut steels and aluminum, brass, plastic and can last for years when working with soft stuff. It will take a 0.05" deep cut in steel on a Sherline mill; it will go much deeper on a bigger mill.

These tools are not the only ones out there and many folks make their own. I use these because they use inserts that have a good service life and they perform well for me.
My Superfly is on the way. Mike, you won.

At our, er, Mike's age, that's even more too personal.

What can I say, I are old.

I started shooting my recurve bow again recently and found that even my muscle memory has Alzheimer's!

The fact of the matter is that I'm often rushing to post here nowadays. I'll post something, then run off and do something that I'm usually late for, then come back and do it again or post between appointments. My brain is on overload. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited:
I'll take the birthday ... not sure how many I have left!

I wasn't trying to, Terry, honest ... ;)
So you can manage even when you're 'not trying'? The mark of a true genius.

Back