Poll - Things you hate about machining

Fabrickator

Active User
Registered
The other day I was turning down some material and doing a lot of deep drilling. I got to thinking that it may be fun to do a polls on "Things you Hate" about machining.

For me:
While turning a shaft, a long strand of swarf picks up the waste pile under the chuck and gives you a shower.

Tail stock work, in general! Deep drilling multiple pieces, tapping.

Hot chip down the neck of my shirt or in a flip flop.

Accidentally re-zeroing a DRO. :banghead:

Dialing in a piece on the mill only to find you've run short of Y axis.

What are some of yours pet peeves?

In general the mess. I love making chips, however, I hate cleaning them up and the mess they create. I know, kind of of oxy-moron but I hate a messy shop, period.

I am sure there are other things, just can't thing of any right now. For the most part I love machining/fabricating.

Mike.

Anything over a 1 inch long cut on a milling machine and no power feed...!:angry:

When I don't have time to clean up and need to leave the mess for the next day, I hate starting a day with a mess to cleaning up...!:angry:

I'd go along with the mess. I mean how does a foot of aluminum make a trash can full of spiral shavings?
Other than that some things may be tedious like drill and tap over and over but I love the end result, "I made that".
Dave

When I can't get the chip to break and it comes off in one continues bird's nest of death....pisses me off. Some low carbon steels are just a pain to work with like that. Cleaning out the chip pan is a close second. Difficult to hold parts can be a little frustrating at times too.

All n all though, I love it.

I hate bird's nests...when the long stringy chips/swarf gets caught on the chuck jaws or tbe workpiece & starts flingjng around, especially on finish passes.

Hmmmmmm- We'll I have a newbie dislike (hehe.... Can we really even use that other word anymore in this crazy PC era? )

So far, being new- It's cleaning up the Coolant ! Yech!

I love machining period! Nothing I hate about it at all.

Alright, I take that back. Besides getting showered in chips from a single stray string... one simple act that I don't like is, milling steel. I've become so used to milling aluminum in school (as all of our projects can and usually are made from alum, which in my opinion is not a good thing) that when I've had to make something large, it is a pain in the butt.

For one project, I had to take about a half inch off each side of a block of steel that was about 4 x 4 x 3.5 or something crazy like that to get it to size before it was 3D-contoured on the CNC mill. That was insane. It took me about three days just to do that - mostly out of inexperience and a lack of instruction at the time, but it was so aggravating, mainly due to the dulled cutters and constant beestings...

Back