Poll - Things you hate about machining

YEah! I want to add that one too. My 1045 steel milling work was CrazzY to learn as a newb. A real hate treat for sure! ;-) GOOD ONE!

I love machining period! Nothing I hate about it at all.

Alright, I take that back. Besides getting showered in chips from a single stray string... one simple act that I don't like is, milling steel.

For one project, I had to take about a half inch off each side of a block of steel that was about 4 x 4 x 3.5 or something crazy like that to get it to size before it was 3D-contoured on the CNC mill. That was insane. It took me about three days just to do that - .

Cleaning-up after a lot of cast iron work. Messy, messy, messy...

Ray

Cleaning-up after a lot of cast iron work. Messy, messy, messy...

Ray

I put a few strategically placed welding magnets in zip lock bags around the work, when the job is done hold the bag over the garbage can and remove the magnet. 90% of the CI swarf never touches the machine.

I put a few strategically placed welding magnets in zip lock bags around the work, when the job is done hold the bag over the garbage can and remove the magnet. 90% of the CI swarf never touches the machine.

I usually have a shop vac or heavy duty dust collector pick-up hose within inches of the bit. That gets a vast majority of the dust. Even still, the dust travels in the nearby area and makes a mess of everything. Cleaning-up the machine (and my hands) is always a dirty chore... I'll try some magnets to see if that gets the really fine wind-born stuff.

Ray

I hate bird's nests...when the long stringy chips/swarf gets caught on the chuck jaws or tbe workpiece & starts flingjng around, especially on finish passes.

+1
I thought that was supposed to ONLY happen on finish passes. Does with me it seems

I hate when someone brings you broken junk and gets upset or takes offense when you don't want to touch it at any price. I have learned to turn away work pretty quickly that a few years ago I would have made an attempt on.

I hate when someone brings you broken junk and gets upset or takes offense when you don't want to touch it at any price. I have learned to turn away work pretty quickly that a few years ago I would have made an attempt on.

Yeah, good one. And the same kind of guy that wants you to resurrect a piece of junk somehow thinks you'll spend 5 hours on something and feels that 10 bucks is more than adequate compensation.

Ray

Yeah, good one. And the same kind of guy that wants you to resurrect a piece of junk somehow thinks you'll spend 5 hours on something and feels that 10 bucks is more than adequate compensation.

Ray

Agree 110% to both.

Mike.

Parting off on the lathe. With each crank on the cross slide it seem like a 50/50 chance of snap bang boom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back