Poll - Things you hate about machining

Yeah, the clean up. I've been looking at guy's new lathes and mills, Mike's most recently, and remember how mine USED TO LOOK.

I started a major lathe cleaning yesterday and made a pretty good dent between folks walking up and the phone ringing. Figure I've got a few more hours left and it ain't never gonna look close to like it did. Oh well, it's a tool, not a showpiece, that's for sure.

Parting off on the lathe. With each crank on the cross slide it seem like a 50/50 chance of snap bang boom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Iscar. The solution to 90% of my parting woes. That and a rigid lathe. Parting is actually not much of an issue anymore since I started parting with an Iscar type indexable parting tool.

Agreed, Iscar & Manchester is all I use for parting. Big difference over the the cheaper stuff I tried using before.

Im not a real big fan of "friends" thinking that they deserve to have their work done for free.

Friend: "Hey, could you do this for me? It should only take a little bit"
Keep in mind this friend doesn't know the difference between a mill and drill press
Me: "Sure, I'll let you know when it's done"
Two days later....
Not friend anymore: "Hey, It looks like you finished that! I've been waiting on you. I'll let you know if I have anything else for you"

I was raised on common courtesy to say thanks and ask "What do I owe you?" The funny thing is I usually say "nothing" when it's a real
friend.

And the others...they get an invoice in the mail :)

I don't really hate anything about machining. Sometimes breaking a tap is a real bummer though if you can't get it out, or jamming your turboencabulator reciprocating jingle arm. That always sucks.

But chips down your shirt or a chip pan fiesta around the spindle is just the name of the game, can't really avoid them without going safety nazi.

Ever finish a beautiful part then drop it on the concrete right next to your rubber floor mat? That sucks, has to be right on the corner too.

Im not a real big fan of "friends" thinking that they deserve to have their work done for free.

Keep in mind this friend doesn't know the difference between a mill and drill press
Two days later....
Not friend anymore: "Hey, It looks like you finished that! I've been waiting on you. I'll let you know if I have anything else for you"

I was raised on common courtesy to say thanks and ask "What do I owe you?" The funny thing is I usually say "nothing" when it's a real
friend.

I have "friends" that I would charge (depending on what it's for, ie items for sale) then I have my close friends that I never charge for any machining. Big difference on type of friends. I just received a 6" Wilton bullet vise & 5HP 3 phase Baldor motor for free from 2 of those friends.

Two days later....

friend.

I have "friends" that I would charge (depending on what it's for, ie items for sale) then I have my close friends that I never charge for any machining. Big difference on type of friends. I just received a 6" Wilton bullet vise & 5HP 3 phase Baldor motor for free from 2 of those friends.

Again, agree to both statements. I have "friends" that are friends when it is convenient to them but otherwise bring nothing to the table. Then I have friends that would do anything for me and always offer to pay even when I tell them their money is no good. Big difference between the two.

Mike.

Running my machines to do a job is the best part of the job. Getting the customer or friend to pick up the part they couldn't live without is the worst part.:angry:​ I still have a pile of these time wasters sitting around.
​Sure am tired of the font changing half way thru a post.But that's a rant for a different thread. *********************G************************¿?¿?¿?************
:whiteflag:

I put a few strategically placed welding magnets in zip lock bags around the work, when the job is done hold the bag over the garbage can and remove the magnet. 90% of the CI swarf never touches the machine.

Using a bag is a good idea. I would like to add another idea. I also use a magnet (similar to click bellow) but has a pull lever on/off switch on it. I just wave it over the steel swarf and then take it over to the garbage can and pull the handle and it’s gone. Especially those microscopic slivers that you can’t see but can feel for days!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SE-PM6550-M...386?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20e784fb0a

Iscar. The solution to 90% of my parting woes. That and a rigid lathe. Parting is actually not much of an issue anymore since I started parting with an Iscar type indexable parting tool.

Thanks. Im going to def look into that. Got any links to what you would recommend? I have an Aloris BXA post on an 11"x 30 lathe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back