Possible motor for mill

In lieu of the contacter, can I simply install an on/off swith on the incoming line? Not to start or stop the mill as I understand frequent power cycles are hard on the VFD internals, but to power on the VFD at the start of the day and off at end of day?

Yes. Really no need for a contactor.

Ted

So the motor supplier had a 'free shipping' sale so I have ordered a 1.5 hp 220v/440v 3 ph motor and a Teco VFD.
Watching Clough42's videos he is using a contacter between the line input and the VFD. I can't make out what model it is though.
Ideally I'd like to end up with fwd, rev and variable speed.

In lieu of the contacter, can I simply install an on/off swith on the incoming line? Not to start or stop the mill as I understand frequent power cycles are hard on the VFD internals, but to power on the VFD at the start of the day and off at end of day?

You can also use a plug on the VFD, just unplug it when you are done using it.

The VFD arrived today. Very impressive bit of kit.
Motor should be here Friday.
11c25a9991f35e953eda236ebedbdbf2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please post up your settings, if you don't mind. I'm going to get around to doing that myself in the next few days.…

Congrats!
(And, err, don't drop a screwdriver in there).

Please post up your settings, if you don't mind. I'm going to get around to doing that myself in the next few days.…

Congrats!
(And, err, don't drop a screwdriver in there).
Will do, not likely going to get at it before next week though :oops::(

@DavidR8, I work on VFDs all day long. One word of caution... After unplugging it, the DC bus will be charged up to ~325VDC. This voltage is often exposed to some screw terminals for attaching accessories. 325VDC is quite dangerous. Please give it time to bleed off and verify the voltage with a digital multimeter on the bus is below 50VDC before touching the drive to do any wiring. Some have bleeder circuits to do this within a few seconds, but we also have drives at work that can hold this for 10-15 minutes.

Nice VFD you picked out. I think you will be happy.

@DavidR8, I skimmed this thread and got the impression you were running the machine on 240VAC 1P. It looks like you purchased a 115VAC input drive.

My concern is that the drive is going to be putting out 115VAC 3P which is half of the voltage you need for your motor. I would think you needed a
L510-201-H3-U which is the 240VAC 1P input version of this drive.

I also could have missed something here, but I doubt you are hooking up a 115V 3P motor. Those are very uncommon.

@DavidR8, I skimmed this thread and got the impression you were running the machine on 240VAC 1P. It looks like you purchased a 115VAC input drive.

My concern is that the drive is going to be putting out 115VAC 3P which is half of the voltage you need for your motor. I would think you needed a
L510-201-H3-U which is the 240VAC 1P input version of this drive.

I also could have missed something here, but I doubt you are hooking up a 115V 3P motor. Those are very uncommon.
I am running on 240 V.
This is the link to the VFD where I bought the VFD and motor. The specs indicate 230V input.

Back