Possible Purchase of PM-25MV

There is a slight notch in it. I'm assuming this notch goes to the right and down? Is that correct? I also had to re-position the little X axis indicator to remove the table. The table is heavy. It has to be at least 80 lbs I would guess. It weighs at least twice my entire Sherline mill weighed! Hand carried to basement.
On mine, there is one side of the gib that has the snowflake scraping pattern in it. That is the side that faces outward toward the opposing dovetail. The little notch will fit in with one of the gib screws. If I remember correctly, the notch goes on the right side. If your table is the same as mine, it weighs 66.7 lbs :)

I want to remove all the grease on the table first. Any ideas what to use?
I think the only thing that would get the grease off for me was acetone. Isopropyl alcohol and mineral spirits wouldn't touch it.

It might be just the pictures and lighting, but wow the paint on your column and Z axis slide look really nice. Much better than mine looked! I love new machine days!

I emailed PM and got an almost instant response. Here it is:
The gib is tapered. The thick part should go on the right. The screw head will fit in the notched out area.

As far as cleaning:
We normally use WD-40 to clean the rust preventative off. Spray some on and wait a few minutes before wiping off. If you have stubborn spots, you can use a plastic scraper to help. A metal scraper will scratch the ways.

Great stuff! You are in for a ride, it's quite the machine, very happy with my PM25.

Be sure to keep the X and Y gibs labeled with sharpie or in a marked container, they are not interchangeable as I found out...
And yes, the notch goes on the right side, and only fits in one way due to it being a parallelogram.

If you haven't seen y post about my setup process please take a look, I provide a link to a decent video I found on adjusting the gibs:

Be sure to carefully align the X axis lead screw before tightening down the nut bolts, it's too bad there is no way to access it when the table is mounted.

Mineral spirits worked really well for me, I used a brass bristle brush to get into all the cracks. Took a few rounds of wiping it all and repeating to get it all though.

Have fun and keep us posted!

Be sure to keep the X and Y gibs labeled with sharpie or in a marked container, they are not interchangeable as I found out...
And yes, the notch goes on the right side, and only fits in one way due to it being a parallelogram.

If you haven't seen y post about my setup process please take a look, I provide a link to a decent video I found on adjusting the gibs:

Be sure to carefully align the X axis lead screw before tightening down the nut bolts, it's too bad there is no way to access it when the table is mounted.

Mineral spirits worked really well for me, I used a brass bristle brush to get into all the cracks. Took a few rounds of wiping it all and repeating to get it all though.

The parts diagram is interesting when it comes to the gibs. The parts diagram on page 22 shows both the X and Y gibs labeled as item 2, but the description on page 23 says: "Gib, Y axis" with quantity of 2. I'm guessing this is a typo and both the gibs are the same part number: WMD20A-01-014. However, you say they are not interchangeable. Are you sure?

Thanks for the video link. I'll be sure to watch.

I'm not sure what you are saying about the X axis lead screw. Are you talking about aligning item 21: "X axis lead screw nut" to the lead screw (item 39)? If so, I haven't touch this. Should I worry about aligning it?

Well, I have both mineral spirits and WD-40. So, I can try both to see what works better.

Thanks!

However, you say they are not interchangeable. Are you sure?
Gibs are often made from the same stock item but later cut to length and hand fitted. Therefore they may be the same part number but not interchangeable.

The parts diagram is interesting when it comes to the gibs. The parts diagram on page 22 shows both the X and Y gibs labeled as item 2, but the description on page 23 says: "Gib, Y axis" with quantity of 2. I'm guessing this is a typo and both the gibs are the same part number: WMD20A-01-014. However, you say they are not interchangeable. Are you sure?

I accidentally swapped them, it took me a while to figure out as they did fit but barely, one axis was way loose and the other way too tight.

I'm not sure what you are saying about the X axis lead screw. Are you talking about aligning item 21: "X axis lead screw nut" to the lead screw (item 39)? If so, I haven't touch this. Should I worry about aligning it?

I had taken the lead screw off to clean it thoroughly and re-grease it. Not entirely necessary, so if you haven't touched the nut bolts then you should be fine. Just pay attention to the amount of force/friction when you wheel the table to it's extents, it should be pretty consistently smooth.

Gibs are often made from the same stock item but later cut to length and hand fitted. Therefore they may be the same part number but not interchangeable.

Got it. That makes sense.

I'm making progress. I was able to use my 1 ton hoist to get the base and column off the floor and onto the stand easily.
20191029_191826_1.png

Now, I think I'm going to get all the grease off before reattaching the head and table. I'll see what works better WD-40 or mineral spirits.

For reattaching the head, I'm thinking of placing it on some wood on the saddle to get it into approximate position while aligning the 3 bolts. Or, I could use the hoist to hold it in place while reattaching.

The few times I took the head assy off like that, I laid some wood blocks on the table and set the head on those. Worked really well.

I always flip my head on its side, supported on 2x4's on the table. You can even use the handwheels to help align the holes for the bolts. Get the bolts started then rotate the head into position.

Back