POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

And don't forget the paws! Taking her to an adoption drive this Saturday, so fingers crossed. I just keep telling myself, we can't have three dogs, we can't have three dogs...

I made a clamp tight type tool. I made a couple mistakes along the way but in the end it turned out OK.

20220627_171748.jpg

I have a question though, how would you hold the handle to drill and tap it? 20220627_173745_copy_2016x1512.jpg

This is my setup, but it seems like there should be a better way. It worked fine for drilling but the little v-block clamps sure were in the way when it came time for tapping.

20220627_173720_copy_2016x1512.jpg20220627_173714_copy_1512x2016.jpg

I made a clamp tight type tool. I made a couple mistakes along the way but in the end it turned out OK.

I have a question though, how would you hold the handle to drill and tap it?

This is my setup, but it seems like there should be a better way. It worked fine for drilling but the little v-block clamps sure were in the way when it came time for tapping.
Same setup you have to hold it but use a tap wrench like this one?

6C3A890F-A6E7-4BCD-AEE2-C72A072C8B2B.jpeg

Hold it in a vice and pop a level on the top. If you haven't levelled your machine, pop the level on the bed and note the position of the bubble and use the position as a reference. I use a Starrett 135A pocket level, it is accurate to 17 / 21 minutes, you will be surprised how accurate it is. I wouldn't be without one.

View attachment 411868

I have a question though, how would you hold the handle to drill and tap it? View attachment 411873

View attachment 411874View attachment 411875
I put theV blocks on their side against the fixed jaw, put the material in, then the material in against, and the moveable jaw holding it into the v.
I would leave a little hanging out the side to be able to run an edge finder against it.

Back