POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

I finished this project. I used abrasives to improve the finish on the top (visible) side.

I put a small TIG socket weld around the top of the plate where it meets the shaft. I had originally planned only to weld the bottom (which I did with 6010), but I figured since I had such a nice fit up, why not stitch it up while it is still clean?

I also included pictures of using a shell mill to face the bottom after I did the combination socket/plug weld. I followed that operation with a fly cutter.

07E849EE-FFF1-4EC7-BFAC-671EAC8A0834.jpeg
46FF13C1-C99F-4728-ADD6-1D5C38C8467F.jpeg
CA71CE51-A01A-4F28-89D1-94B621C54CDC.jpeg
DB0AC5CD-4BBF-4A6B-9E6D-01C55B14669A.jpeg
2AFCC81E-CDE1-460E-91AD-48A555F77628.jpeg
C74CB12B-057C-4630-840C-2FDB609F725B.jpeg
4F01843A-F934-48F0-AFF9-B02BA701BF4F.jpeg

7FEC0A0D-1F36-457D-BA68-CE3365F8B5AC.jpeg

@erikmannie that is just way to cool... and sure looks like it is very useful.

It has one issue right out of the gate. There is undercut on the TIG socket weld! There is almost no room there for a weld bead.

The tool post (block) has a sleeve in it that goes all the way down the tool post, and the whole base of the tool post is flush with the plate.

The only way that I can think to rectify this is to put a proper socket weld bead there, and then machine this weld bead down to flush with both the plate and shaft. This way, the top of the plate and bottom of the shaft would meet at a hard 90°.

Last edited:
It has one issue right out of the gate. There is undercut on the TIG socket weld! There is almost no room there for a weld bead.

The post has a sleeve in it that goes all the way down the shaft, and the base of the tool post obviously goes all the way to the plate.

The only way that I can think to rectify this is to put a proper socket weld bead there, and then machine it down to flush with the plate and flush with the shaft. This way, the top of the plate and bottom of the post would meet at a hard 90°.
I did not know these little cranes existed. I have bookmarked their site, https://skyhook.cc/premium-tool-post-mount-sky-hooks.html

Whenever I get my workshop built, I will look into adding something like this, but mobile. I am not getting any younger and that 4-jaw chuck for the G0709 is heavy...

I did not know these little cranes existed. I have bookmarked their site, https://skyhook.cc/premium-tool-post-mount-sky-hooks.html

Whenever I get my workshop built, I will look into adding something like this, but mobile. I am not getting any younger and that 4-jaw chuck for the G0709 is heavy...

The company that sells the Sky Hook is located in Idaho, and they are an absolute joy to deal with.

It was an easy decision for me to spend money in order to minimize the likelihood of a back injury!

that is really slick, nice work Erik! In future, you can counterbore socket holes with an endmill rather than a boring head. Takes alot less time and the finish is almost as good. I keep alot of odd size endmills around for this purpose, eg. counterbores for metric SHCS tend not to match up with regular fractional endmills.

The post has a sleeve in it that goes all the way down the shaft, and the whole base of the tool is flush with the plate.

The only way that I can think to rectify this is to put a proper socket weld bead there, and then machine this weld bead down to flush with both the plate and shaft. This way, the top of the plate and bottom of the shaft would meet at a hard 90°.
Looks fantastic but that stud is sketchy. I would replace it and only tack weld the head in a counter bored hole, like the top side. You only need to stop the bolt from turning, the head will hold it in place. Grade 8 bolts don't do well with welding especially with an undercut at the top edge of the plate, that is a perfect place for a crack to start.

Back