POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

So, more than just one day. The Sheldon lathe is going in to be redone, mechanically at least. The paint may or may not get done. Managed to work it out of the basement into the garage, then into the other garage, and into the back of the truck. Saturday was 12 hours (6 there, 6 back) on the road to run it to A&D Machine Tool Rebuilding.

As usual the process requires a lot of different equipment. Fortunately the lathe is light enough to be moved with an engine hoist, a chain fall, a tractor, another chain fall, a truck, then a gantry crane. (Yeah, Some of these pictures are no big deal, but I know I like to see how other people move stuff around...)

View attachment 414249 View attachment 414239View attachment 414240 View attachment 414250

As of Saturday at noon local time it made it safely to the shop to be redone...

View attachment 414241

It was a tough call deciding on the cost of rebuild vs. looking for something new. Everything functions on this machine. I really do like this lathe. After spending a little time talking to Rick, I think rebuilding this old iron was the right choice. It gets used often, but quite lightly. Someday someone will inherit/purchase a very solid lathe when I'm done with it!

Now the hardest part. Trying to figure out how to survive in the shop with no lathe...

What are they doing to it??

BTW, thank you for sharing the photos of the move. Very cool seeing how you got it out. And also great that you are giving it an extended life.

What are they doing to it??
Complete mechanical rebuild of all sliding surfaces, milled and scraped. Headstock and tailstock realigned/scraped. Replace a few worn wear items (brass gear or two, drive keys, etc.). One worn/crunchy bearing on the crossfeed screw. Basically they'll do whatever it takes to make it a nice tight machine again.

And two small upgrades. A flat face and two holes in the carriage for a follow rest on the leading side of the carriage (because it'll be apart already). And also a threaded hole on the threading leadscrew on the tailstock end. That will be for a drive feature for an electronic leadscrew upgrade someday (same, because it's apart already).

would that be for your tapered hub by any chance?
Nope. I have to repair my big lathe's belt pulley. Previous owner let the retaining nut back off and destroyed the taper in the pulley. I have bored out the pulley. Made a tapered sleeve for it. Now I just need to broach a keyway into the sleeve. Been quite a project actually. I will have upcoming videos on the repair.

(Yeah, Some of these pictures are no big deal, but I know I like to see how other people move stuff around...)
------
Now the hardest part. Trying to figure out how to survive in the shop with no lathe...
When an engine lift won't cut it, and every rental yard in the PNW is out of forklifts, you can rent a reach lift... Only cost me $950 for 30 minutes use! Yes, the dent in the door flashing was from the boom. This was last week. And a shop without a lathe is worse than a shop without a drill press... or maybe a bench grinder. Or 10mm sockets.

IMAG1385.jpg

Today i got my bushings in for a job i have to do. I converted the metric dimensions over to english and getting an idea of a plan of attack. With then being so small this job may be a Derbyshire lathe job!

Edit: did i mention these things are definitely hardened.

Attachments

• 13DA0FEC-A79C-444A-9CD1-6B30EDDB4F2A.jpeg
    13DA0FEC-A79C-444A-9CD1-6B30EDDB4F2A.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 28
  • E7AD55BB-88A4-4287-84F6-9316E57DF49B.jpeg
    E7AD55BB-88A4-4287-84F6-9316E57DF49B.jpeg
    260.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Back