POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Cleaned, taped and painted the fj1200 engine:
Always liked the FJ. Im a big fan of the sport touring ride. I have a Blackbird right now that sits next to the Harley. Sometimes I don't know if I want to go fast or slow I guess. My bride always picks slow.

1666997562381.jpeg

1666997812517.png
To be honest, at my age, my fast aint what it used to be. But the older I get, the faster I was...................................

Always liked the FJ. Im a big fan of the sport touring ride. I have a Blackbird right now that sits next to the Harley. Sometimes I don't know if I want to go fast or slow I guess. My bride always picks slow.

View attachment 424989

View attachment 424990
To be honest, at my age, my fast aint what it used to be. But the older I get, the faster I was...................................
The strange thing is, everyone sees the FJ as a sport tourer but in my mind I will always see it as a pure sportbike.

When it first came out in 84, it was top of the heap. It was the ultra hyperbike of its day, for the most part untouchable on the 1/4, stoplights and road courses. It wasn’t until 1985 that it finally got some credible competition in the form of the 900 Ninja (Gpz 900 everywhere except NA). I lusted after the FJ all through high school, but could never pull together enough scratch to buy one. I managed enough for an 83 V45, but never enough for the FJ.

So this “restoration” is basically a bucket list item for me. Unfortunately, my riding days are pretty much behind me, ao the FJ will just be for the occational local road blast and then back into the garage to bench race…

Last edited:
I had both the v45 and then the v65 sabres as well as a Suzuki 1100 ED(drag bike with a spaceship for a headlight).
I feel the same way about the blackbird. Everyone says sport touring but it was one of the 3 kings.

I had both the v45 and then the v65 sabres as well as a Suzuki 1100 ED(drag bike with a spaceship for a headlight).
I feel the same way about the blackbird. Everyone says sport touring but it was one of the 3 kings.
My V45 was an interceptor. Not really into cruiser style bikes, although I’ve had several. Nothing against them, they’re just not my style.

The sabres were ok, but more of a throwback to the 70’s “standard” style bike than cruiser (like a magna) or sportbike (like the interceptor).

VMax was about my favorite from the cruiser styles. So I put a vmx12 engine in my Venture:

E7E9D935-4649-41E9-AD01-A1C0EFDEEF84.jpeg
50 hp jump over stock makes for an interesting ride.

One bike I would have liked to have had was the kawi Eliminator. Can’t explain why, I just wish I had owned one at some point….

Last edited:
Interesting. I always viewed the v65 sabre as more sport than cruiser. Kinda half way between the cb and the magna. The magna was more of a cruiser like the v max but just a lot slower.

Interesting. I always viewed the v65 sabre as more sport than cruiser. Kinda half way between the cb and the magna...
thats pretty much the definition of “standard”.

otherwise known as the “UJM” or universal japanese motorcycle.

Not a sportbike, not a cruiser, but an all around/do everything bike.

Or if you prefer; “jack of all trades master of none”….

Pa in law passed a few years back. He was a lineman for southwest bell. My wife and her mom have been sorting through his stuff slowly for the last couple months. I told my wife I wanted nothing as I thought her brother, his son should have anything of value. She called last night and said there was an old telephone that her brother didn’t want. I said I’d take a look at it. As soon as she showed it to me I couldn’t keep my hands off of it. RED!! It was dirty and everything was stuck. Quick clean up and a little oil was all it needed. Didn’t even know I wanted an old phone. Apparently this phone was from around the 50’s. Will put it in the new shop. Behind the phone number is a sticker that reads “Please wait for dial tone”. Almost forgot there was a dial tone.
Wonder if young folks today could wait for dial tone?
5A474475-5FEE-4EFA-9617-60A78BCAE3F5.jpeg2E23E193-4663-4777-A618-096A6B2413EE.jpeg

Today i continue and finish fixing my winter daily driver. Replacing the CV boot was a struggle many because of its weight and the graphite grease i use is not easy to get off hands. I'm also getting sick because i was struggling to lift the shock in its place. I did buy stabilizer links front and rear, i install the front but the rear will have to wait for me to get check out, i'm out of breath and feel like c**p. Its good to have this car ready.
IMG_20221015_182224.jpgIMG_20221016_173817.jpgIMG_20221017_153718_2.jpgIMG_20221017_153845.jpg

I’ve been dying to get the newly acquired Transylvanian soft neck garlic into the grave — I mean ground — so that it gets a decent start this fall, and then I ended up with an unplanned day off today so I seized the opportunity. Spring is a long ways away though, so I thought I best take precautions so as not to forget where I buried planted it….

Some sharpened wooden stakes ought to do nicely….

1667076218905.jpeg

and maybe some kind of inscription description to jog the memory…..

1667076263425.jpeg

Who says gardening isn’t fun? :)

1667076303689.jpeg

Back