POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Pa in law passed a few years back. He was a lineman for southwest bell. My wife and her mom have been sorting through his stuff slowly for the last couple months. I told my wife I wanted nothing as I thought her brother, his son should have anything of value. She called last night and said there was an old telephone that her brother didn’t want. I said I’d take a look at it. As soon as she showed it to me I couldn’t keep my hands off of it. RED!! It was dirty and everything was stuck. Quick clean up and a little oil was all it needed. Didn’t even know I wanted an old phone. Apparently this phone was from around the 50’s. Will put it in the new shop. Behind the phone number is a sticker that reads “Please wait for dial tone”. Almost forgot there was a dial tone.
Wonder if young folks today could wait for dial tone?
View attachment 425047View attachment 425048
Your own Hotline to the Kremlin?

Last edited by a moderator:
My plastic one is shaped slightly differently so can't get the bottle "lifter" under a tab (but if you flip it over you can make it work on a tab, just not as easy as the slot).

You should be able to break the leading edge of the slot enough so it won't get confiscated by TSA but still function. Although . . . I did have a finger nail clipper confiscated in Quito, Ecuador back in 2011: not because it had the nail file (it didn't), but because of the sharp edges of the cutters – I didn't argue with this logic.
Was rummaging around and found this one:

Top Popper.jpg

Pa in law passed a few years back. He was a lineman for southwest bell. My wife and her mom have been sorting through his stuff slowly for the last couple months. I told my wife I wanted nothing as I thought her brother, his son should have anything of value. She called last night and said there was an old telephone that her brother didn’t want. I said I’d take a look at it. As soon as she showed it to me I couldn’t keep my hands off of it. RED!! It was dirty and everything was stuck. Quick clean up and a little oil was all it needed. Didn’t even know I wanted an old phone. Apparently this phone was from around the 50’s. Will put it in the new shop. Behind the phone number is a sticker that reads “Please wait for dial tone”. Almost forgot there was a dial tone.
Wonder if young folks today could wait for dial tone?
View attachment 425047View attachment 425048
I love the phone number reference. Is Jenny there?

Well, today I had to make a miniature tap wrench, to hold a m2.5 x .45 tap. I need this small tap, in order to make the screw hole for the carbide insert, for my ball turner I am just finishing up... I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous about breaking of the tap in the tool holder. I'll keep you all posted!
View attachment 286257View attachment 286258
This is the link to my ball turner project, if anyone interested...
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/radius-ball-turner.76367/
I found this design from searching "miniature tap wrench"! This is along the lines of an upcoming need of mine. I have a 5-40 bottoming tap I'm going to need to use on a tiny little chunk of 1144 stressproof. I dread breaking the tap too! So far, this is the best design I've seen. Thanks for posting it! Four years later, how's it working out for you?

Have anyone have to do this? To drill out clamp type plastic fan. I've ordered this one from aliexpress and the seller send the wrong one. After looking around my machine shop for a way to clamp it, i just added coupe pieces of paper and tighten the bolts, chuck a 24mm drill bit in my lathe chuck just to hold it. Grab the fan and started to turn it by hand and drill it thru. Not the best work i've done but should work.
IMG_20221019_194042.jpg

Back