POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Made a rack for my R8 collets and drill chuck.

20221029_044253c.jpg

My Bridgeport lives in a shared workshop so I can't just leave everything out when I go home. I have a cabinet next to the mill for mill tooling and anything that isn't bolted to the table goes back in each day. I've been storing the collets and chuck on a shelf but they take space and it is annoying to find the right collet. So I made this rack that fits on the inside of the cabinet door. It is vertically located so the collets and chuck fit between two shelves, but it only uses about 1 inch of the shelf depth so really has no impact on the other items on the shelf. At the bottom right of the photo below you can see the old collet boxes, they are going away and will free up some shelf space.

20221029_042935c.jpg

I've never liked racks that support the collets by their reference surfaces (the taper and the straight section at the back). This rack supports the weight on the back of the collet. The holes in the upper cross member are just below the taper, and the pins on the lower cross member are a sloppy fit in the drawbar thread minor diameter.

20221029_042742c.jpg

Last edited:

I've never liked racks that support the collets by their reference surfaces (the taper and the straight section at the back). This rack supports the weight on the back of the collet. The holes in the upper cross member are just below the taper, and the pins on the lower cross member are a sloppy fit in the drawbar thread minor diameter.
Very nice.

View attachment 425269

My Bridgeport lives in a shared workshop so I can't just leave everything out when I go home. I have a cabinet next to the mill for mill tooling and anything that isn't bolted to the table goes back in each day. I've been storing the collets and chuck on a shelf but they take space and it is annoying to find the right collet. So I made this rack that fits on the inside of the cabinet door. It is vertically located so the collets and chuck fit between two shelves, but it only uses about 1 inch of the shelf depth so really has no impact on the other items on the shelf. At the bottom right of the photo below you can see the old collet boxes, they are going away and will free up some shelf space.

View attachment 425270

View attachment 425271
I like it

Repurposeing some 1 in plasma cut Ibeam, free stuff. Glad I didn't get rid of those bigger cutters now, it was going slow with the smaller ones.

Attachments

• 20221101_054739 (1).jpg
    20221101_054739 (1).jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 43
I’ve run into times when I couldn’t clamp where I wanted with the clamps that I have . Made two blocks that I could swing to different positions along the table with a cantilever to be able to go over the vise mounting bolts . Two holes drill through 3/8” and one taped 3/8”-16 . The first use was when I had a part in the vise and another clamped on top so I could drill through both at the same time .

Attachments

• 69426583-E44E-403D-9443-EC789532BEE3.jpeg
    69426583-E44E-403D-9443-EC789532BEE3.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 64
  • FADACD17-0CBB-471B-B648-FEB04773CDE2.jpeg
    FADACD17-0CBB-471B-B648-FEB04773CDE2.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 70
  • BF40FB64-C51C-4D4C-BA7B-A969ED451246.jpeg
    BF40FB64-C51C-4D4C-BA7B-A969ED451246.jpeg
    294.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 207FBB5C-D336-40B2-B418-B4973F7C31B3.jpeg
    207FBB5C-D336-40B2-B418-B4973F7C31B3.jpeg
    321.2 KB · Views: 68
I’ve run into times when I couldn’t clamp where I wanted with the clamps that I have . Made two blocks that I could swing to different positions along the table with a cantilever to be able to go over the vise mounting bolts .

Oh I WILL be stealing that idea!
(....but imitation is the sincerest form of flattery , right?)

It is another of those "Why didn't I think of that?" solutions.

Thanks for sharing this!

Brian

I’ve run into times when I couldn’t clamp where I wanted with the clamps that I have . Made two blocks that I could swing to different positions along the table with a cantilever to be able to go over the vise mounting bolts . Two holes drill through 3/8” and one taped 3/8”-16 . The first use was when I had a part in the vise and another clamped on top so I could drill through both at the same time .
These could also work as a base for Machinists' Jacks when you need to get them close to the vise.

ChazzC I didn’t think of that when i made them but now that you suggested it there were times a jack type arrangement would have been very handy !

Back