POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

I made a block with a ER32 nose. I have seen these around for many years and wondered just why I needed one for my shop.
I was making some expandable mandrels the other day and while slitting the end of mandrel it hit me. ( not the mandrel but a thought)
If only I had a collet block I could make the second slit by just turning the block and have 4 equal sections without a lot of setup.
Since I have thought of so many other uses that I can't see how I got along with out it.
I did put a through hole in it for longer pieces.

IMG_1196.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

Swapped the Summer tires for Winter ones on the wife's car yesterday (as part of an oil change deal - with the reduced miles we have been putting on the cars and since the Winter tires are already mounted we rotate/swap). checking the car afterwards I discovered that one of the "Deer Warns" was missing:

Wheres the Deer Warn.jpeg
Apparently courtesy of a high parking spot stop block.

Not a disaster as I long ago stopped relying on the adhesive strips to keep the little buggers in place, substituting small SS FH wood screws so it wasn't a major chore the replace the mount and add a new "Warn:"

Deer Warn Replaced.jpeg
My wife's Trax has convenient stiffening contours molded into the underside of the bumper cover, just the right size.

And Yes, these do work in my experience: the only deer hits we ever had were when these weren't installed (daughter had two hits in two days and on the second day my wife's car also got hit). Now the deer run away.

To be honest here where i live is ideal for E-cars, its middle of december and for tomorrow forecast is 17 celsius (62F). Also the summers are mellow, every couple of years we get a hot summer or a cold winter. As for the cars all of the ones i've dealt with have electric heater and AC and they run the 1234f freon. When AC of heat is switched on the range is calculated and it drops, the leaf is very accurate, the VW is a very big optimist (lier). I just had a big debacle at the VW dealer, i'll write about it later when i get home or tomorrow.

Not a disaster as I long ago stopped relying on the adhesive strips to keep the little buggers in place, substituting small SS FH wood screws so it wasn't a major chore the replace the mount and add a new "Warn:"

Deer Warn Replaced.jpeg

My wife's Trax has convenient stiffening contours molded into the underside of the bumper cover, just the right size.

And Yes, these do work in my experience: the only deer hits we ever had were when these weren't installed (daughter had two hits in two days and on the second day my wife's car also got hit). Now the deer run away.
I've never heard about those "Deer Warns" here we don't have that issue, is there something similar for dogs and chickens?

I've never heard about those "Deer Warns" here we don't have that issue, is there something similar for dogs and chickens?
I lived in New England and New York State (A LOT of deer) for many years, and a lot of folks I knew had those deer whistles.
I also knew a lot of folks that hit deer, and a lot of them had the whistles - A mixed bag, at best
I've had deer run into the SIDE of my vehicles a couple times - I mean the deer were running flat out, full tilt, probably being chased by something, and would have paid no attention to any whistles, I think.
The BEST defense against hitting deer (as well as dogs and chickens), IMHO, is good headlights, and powerful fog / driving lights, that light up the sides of the road, as far back into the edge of the woods / fields as possible - You seeing them, and them seeing the lights early on gives you the best chance of stopping them, before they make a fatal choice.
But that's just my opinion, and YMMV.

Last edited:
I made a block with a ER32 nose. I have seen these around for many years and wondered just why I needed one for my shop.
I was making some expandable mandrels the other day and while slitting the end of mandrel it hit me. ( not the mandrel but a thought)
If only I had a collet block I could make the second slit by just turning the block and have 4 equal sections without a lot of setup.
Since I have thought of so many other uses that I can't see how I got along with out it.
I did put a through hole in it for longer pieces.

View attachment 430046

Thanks for looking
Ray
Looks good. Maybe I'll make one myself

So this was more than 1 days work, but...I'll share, but keep this under your hat....top secret project, for a special customer. Jolly old fellow, you might know him....White beard, Red suit? ;)
View attachment 430012
A "compact rotary broach" to Hemingway plans. I actually started making duplicates of all the parts (one set for myself), but dropped that as deadline pressure mounted. When they say "compact" they mean it! I included the pen for scale. It's remarkably small, and I think a fair bit of thought was put into making it as compact as possible. Here's it is disassembled.
View attachment 430013
This was a really fun and (for me) challenging project. Lots of close tolerances to hit for the bearings. I'm pretty stoked that I managed to hit them all pretty good. There is no perceptible play in the spindle either radially or axially, yet it spins freely. I did have to polish in a couple of the fits with emery cloth. The mic said I hit my dimension to the .0001", but the bearings still wouldn't go on. It didn't take much though.

There is room for improvement in the broaches themselves. The 2 I've made work, but I used a fiddly arrangement involving a collet block, angle block, and vise stops to machine them (from O1 tool steel) which could definitely be improved upon. Probably need to make a chuck adapter for the rotary table so I can mount the collet chuck on it and use that. The customer demands this ship tomorrow though, so that will have to wait....

-Pete
Wait, is that wobble broach eccentric only, without any type of angular deflection? I didn't know that was even possible. Rotary broaches that pivot on a ball cut with the corners of the cutter, but on an eccentric the cutting action is completely different. How does it work, with the tip being rigidly fixed to the axis like that? Does it just rub around the work and wallow like a form tool, since it can't do any cutting just orbiting around like that!
download.jpg

Reactions: rwm
Back