POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Just finished up a set of 3-ball handles for my HF milling machine.
How do you go about getting the nice contour on the handle?

This would be easy with a CNC machine, I would think not so easy with a manual machine.

How do you go about getting the nice contour on the handle?

This would be easy with a CNC machine, I would think not so easy with a manual machine.
I used the cross slide on the lathe.
They have some specs in the Machinery handbook, but mine are slightly non-standard to fit the material.
It's easiest to draw the design on paper then take measurements directly from there. As Mr. Pete says, I used CAD (Cardboard Automated Design)
The balls on the big end screw on. The smaller end and machining was done with the part screwed onto a mandrel.

That seems like it would be tricky to get a really smooth contour?

Its a bit like trying to cut a circle with just the X & Y hand wheels on a mill the amount you turn each hand wheel keeps changing, (max on X when Y = 0 , and then the opposite and every possible combination in between. Effortless with CNC, pick a diameter and say go, the computer is much better at calculating and turning the wheels in real time.

I've seen mulitple Youtube videos where you use the X & Y to cut a stepped approximation of the curve you want and then use a file to smooth it out. The more steps you put in, the less work with the file.

My lathe has a very nice factory chip shield for the chuck, but not for the tool post, so I decided to fabricate my own. I've seen several that our members have made, but I was hoping to end up with something a little more compact and versatile. After much pondering with regard to criteria and function, I came up with the following design:

1. It occurred to me that there is sufficient thread exposed at the top of the tool post to attach a holder.
IMG_2560.jpg

2. I also had two very nice Noga indicator holders that I bought for a project quite some time ago. They have been resting comfortably in one of my toolboxes ever since. I decided one would be an excellent holder for a plexiglass shield mounted to the tool post. So I fabricated top and bottom ends to replace the originals. (I started by attempting to modify Noga's straight end but quickly changed my mind. If I ever needed to use it again as a second indicator holder, I would still have the original parts.)
IMG_2559.jpg

3. The top end of the fabricated base is drilled and tapped to attach to the holder. The bottom end is milled to a 7/8" hex and drilled and tapped to attach to the tool post. Even though it is hex, it is mounted just barely over hand tight to keep it from slipping. 'Fort-Knox' lockdown is not necessary. The clip that holds the plexiglass is a through-hole on the top face, and 10-32 threaded on the bottom. I used a 1/4" end mill to machine the slot. Since the plexiglass is 0.220 thou, I thought I would need to put a spacer in the slot, but it's very snug without it.
IMG_2558.jpg IMG_2557.jpg
IMG_2556.jpg

The shield is made out of a piece of scrap clear plexiglass. The Noga body makes it fully adjustable and can be positioned to ride above the chuck shield for close-up work. In addition, it would be a very easy matter to make different size plexiglass shields if necessary. I'm going to experiment with it for awhile, but I suspect I'll end up making an L- or U-shaped shield to direct chips into the cabinet instead of on the floor. We'll see.

Regards

Back