POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

With the fuel prices as high as they are here in europe and small distance between places and free charging electric cars are becoming more and more popular. I can't afford one, but people around me can and i get to prep and test them for our roads. This time i have a E- Golf, and it's a disappointment, the body style is very popular and it blends in much better than the priuses and the leafs. But being a golf more than 10 minutes ride my back hurts, the seats are rock hard, the suspension is stiff and has lots of roll in the corners. Now i have to make it better, have i mention the understeer, maybe the worst i've felt and i've driven some very sketchy cars. Thankfully VW safeties are easy to get around.
IMG_20221110_183707.jpgIMG_20221110_141019.jpgIMG_20221110_152939.jpgIMG_20221110_152954.jpgIMG_20221110_153033.jpg

Looks more crowded in the "engine" bay than I thought an E-car would be, but still nothing like my V-6 Mercury mariner ;~)

To me looks like a parts bin car, i don't know which shock absorbers they used but they are too stiff and the springs are too soft. I have an appointment to have the shocks check because it's still under warranty. The engine bay also looks unfinished, if you want to see complicated check out my twin turbo 607 there is a thread on this forum about it when i rebuild the engine.

Looks more crowded in the "engine" bay than I thought an E-car would be, but still nothing like my V-6 Mercury mariner ;~)
I have the Escape version of your Mercury (If you have the older body style). Actually that one isn't too bad under the hood.

The engine bay in this E-bug actually looks good to me. The HV wiring appears to be short, and up high to protect it. Right on top of the Motor/Trans. The thing that a lot of people miss, is the fact that these cars do need liquid cooling. That piping and hoses is typically pretty ugly!

I have the Escape version of your Mercury (If you have the older body style). Actually that one isn't too bad under the hood.

The engine bay in this E-bug actually looks good to me. The HV wiring appears to be short, and up high to protect it. Right on top of the Motor/Trans. The thing that a lot of people miss, is the fact that these cars do need liquid cooling. That piping and hoses is typically pretty ugly!
Talking about complicated engine bay, french do it best :grin big: :grin big:

That golf must have a stronger charger, it nearly burns down the power company's electrical box. I have a 22Kw capable EV charger in the big garage but i've limited it to 25 amps and i have a 32amp breaker but saterly the big garage lost power after few checks i found this mess, the neutral wire caught fire and burns a hole in the 63 amp fuse next to it. I had a 50 amp fuse and there was a spare clamp in the box. I managed to get power restore, but that is not the right clamp to go from copper to aluminium wire. I did move the Golf to the small garage on a 10 amp slow charge.
IMG_20221123_165334.jpgIMG_20221123_174147.jpgIMG_20221123_174441.jpg

So this was more than 1 days work, but...I'll share, but keep this under your hat....top secret project, for a special customer. Jolly old fellow, you might know him....White beard, Red suit? ;)
IMG_20221214_184756645.jpg
A "compact rotary broach" to Hemingway plans. I actually started making duplicates of all the parts (one set for myself), but dropped that as deadline pressure mounted. When they say "compact" they mean it! I included the pen for scale. It's remarkably small, and I think a fair bit of thought was put into making it as compact as possible. Here's it is disassembled.
IMG_20221214_184944372.jpg
This was a really fun and (for me) challenging project. Lots of close tolerances to hit for the bearings. I'm pretty stoked that I managed to hit them all pretty good. There is no perceptible play in the spindle either radially or axially, yet it spins freely. I did have to polish in a couple of the fits with emery cloth. The mic said I hit my dimension to the .0001", but the bearings still wouldn't go on. It didn't take much though.

There is room for improvement in the broaches themselves. The 2 I've made work, but I used a fiddly arrangement involving a collet block, angle block, and vise stops to machine them (from O1 tool steel) which could definitely be improved upon. Probably need to make a chuck adapter for the rotary table so I can mount the collet chuck on it and use that. The customer demands this ship tomorrow though, so that will have to wait....

-Pete

Talking about complicated engine bay, french do it best :grin big: :grin big:
WOW !

Living in the hot, humid south, I've always wondered how much running the air con, in an E-car, would cut down the driving range.
It's a fact of life here, for much of the year.

Living in the hot, humid south, I've always wondered how much running the air con, in an E-car, would cut down the driving range.
It's a fact of life here, for much of the year.

....and conversely, up here a great heater and windshield defrost are absolute requirements.
Worse, we need them most when it's colder, just when the batteries are at their least efficient.
The extra heat came for free* with internal combustion.
Brian

*-"free" discounting fuel costs and as long as mother nature can swallow more carbon

Back