POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

I dubated should i share this because it just happened. Today i had to get some paperwork done in skopje, on my way there i come up on an traffic accident at highway speed behind a sharp bend in heavy rain. It was a big pile up of trucks vans and cars, in a split second i noticed the guardrail ends just behind the last car on the right there is enough space to get thru. I was going 110 km/h might dropped to 90 when i lifted off the throttle, steering it like is on ice i managed to go thru the opening but at that moment there was a big dich that i fly thru nose in the field, as soon as i hit the ground i downshift to 4th and gave it full throttle. The poor car dug 2 very deep ditches throw a bunch of black smoke but some how made it to a dirt road even bulldozed down some bushes. Turn around went back to see if i can help just as i got out one more car try to go thru that opening but just crashed in the dich. No serious injuries, all wet i got back in the road thru some village i got back on the highway, the rain got even heavier. The rain washed much of dirt from my car but i still had to give it a good wash, i left it in the big garage to dry i'll check the undercarriage again, it was a hard lending.
IMG_20230121_121844_1.jpgIMG_20230121_121859.jpgIMG_20230121_125505.jpgIMG_20230121_130850.jpg

They’re not done yet but these will be knives for a machine that makes wood dowels. The machine spins 4 of these to whittle down 1-1/2” square stock to whatever size they adjust the machine to.
So, what material are these made from?

I dubated should i share this because it just happened. Today i had to get some paperwork done in skopje, on my way there i come up on an traffic accident at highway speed behind a sharp bend in heavy rain. It was a big pile up of trucks vans and cars, in a split second i noticed the guardrail ends just behind the last car on the right there is enough space to get thru. I was going 110 km/h might dropped to 90 when i lifted off the throttle, steering it like is on ice i managed to go thru the opening but at that moment there was a big dich that i fly thru nose in the field, as soon as i hit the ground i downshift to 4th and gave it full throttle. The poor car dug 2 very deep ditches throw a bunch of black smoke but some how made it to a dirt road even bulldozed down some bushes. Turn around went back to see if i can help just as i got out one more car try to go thru that opening but just crashed in the dich. No serious injuries, all wet i got back in the road thru some village i got back on the highway, the rain got even heavier. The rain washed much of dirt from my car but i still had to give it a good wash, i left it in the big garage to dry i'll check the undercarriage again, it was a hard lending.
View attachment 434721View attachment 434722View attachment 434723View attachment 434724
Wow glad you are safe !!

Thank you, i got by lucky with only a headache from hitting the roof and back ache from the spinal compression.
Yikes ! spinal compression has haunted me for years from a bad rollover accident back in 91. Hope you heal better than I did.

NICE!!!
I'd sooner have one like that than the plastic ones I see on the Bay.
I've been looking at those but balk at the plastic part.
Any chance you will make a few more?? (hint hint) :)

Made this simple little height gauge for the lathe. I did a machining project for a farmer friend of mine a couple of years ago and inherited a PTO shaft and part of its housing off of a John Deere 4430 tractor - got no idea why, but it's been sitting in my metal pile for a couple of years. The pieces are case-hardened and quite heavy, so I decided they'd be a good candidate for a very stout height gauge. I milled both pieces down to make sure all parts were flat and parallel top-to-bottom, and perpendicular to the cross slide. Hard to tell in the photos, but the top 3/4" of the shaft is milled further and threaded to 3/8-24. I made the adjustable piece on top from a piece of 303 stainless. One end of it is drilled and tapped to match the shaft, then knurled for easy hand tightening; and the other end is milled to slightly under the estimated center height. After test fitting, I had planned to mill a little more off the bottom of that part to allow room for a jam nut, but a test fit indicated it was dead perfect with a hard hand-tightening. (I got lucky.) In the first photo, if you look closely at the piece of aluminum in the chuck, you can see three diameters I scribed in the face using the height gauge - all three intersected at the same spot. The second photo shows the height gauge in use.

Regards

IMG_2648.jpgIMG_2649.jpg

Back