POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

This probably isn't very clear from the pictures. Once the whole thing is together it may make more sense.

It's a custom RustyBolt-ImpactSocket-SubaruTimingIdlerPulley-LugNut-Recessed-Light-tumbler hub (fidget spinner).

Fid-.jpgDig.jpg

It's drive hub made with spare/scrap junk for the tumbler project. Digging around the junk boxes, came up with a bunch of junk to make a drive hub for a 5 gallon bucket to make a the tumbler I've been trying to hack together. The concept started here when I stumbled across an aluminum recessed light.

Idea.jpg

And quickly morphed into a hex driven drive hub with this junk from the scrap bin.
Raw.jpg itspinner.jpg

And with a little turning, the rear bearing support, made from an old impact socket, lug nut, and subaru timing belt idler pulley.
The socket presses into the idler pulley recess.
Parts.jpg

This whole contraption should support the rear of the bucket. The front will be supported on two rollers.
Hopefully the gearbox drive, and shaft modification hold up (from earlier). I'll replace the small screws with some bolts or some big GRK screw once the geometry is settled.
MotorDrive.jpg
Last thing to come up with is a flex coupling from the gearbox to the bucket. I'll probably start with some rubber hose clamped on the gearbox output and the rusty bolt hex drive. Don't really want to buy anything and the load should be pretty light so hose might be ok. It only has to last last a few weeks, and then will probably sit on the shelf forever.

Attachments

• GearBoxMod.jpg
    GearBoxMod.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 16
Funny thing is that it is now normal for her seeing me do this... On the table, she even helped when I was installing the legs...

I told her that I will stop doing this when I have air conditioning in the garage... Guys, I sweat like crazy... I would have melted if I had to put this together in the garage...

Same has been with my motorcycles... buy a new one, get all the accessories that I want... ride it into the house, install it all, then into the garage it goes.

View attachment 458736
View attachment 458737
View attachment 458738

Not doing oil changes or any of that stuff... this is when bikes are new and I am just installing accessories... Not something that I plan on doing in the new house for several reasons... Tiles in the new house are carp... meaning they are not porcelain... so they can crack easily... and soon I will have A/C in the garage!!!
Mr. Cool. I put a one ton unit in DIY-installed for less than $1,400. Going on four years now, works great I never sweat!

This probably isn't very clear from the pictures. Once the whole thing is together it may make more sense.

It's a custom RustyBolt-ImpactSocket-SubaruTimingIdlerPulley-LugNut-Recessed-Light-tumbler hub (fidget spinner).

View attachment 458778View attachment 458777

It's drive hub made with spare/scrap junk for the tumbler project. Digging around the junk boxes, came up with a bunch of junk to make a drive hub for a 5 gallon bucket to make a the tumbler I've been trying to hack together. The concept started here when I stumbled across an aluminum recessed light.

View attachment 458781

And quickly morphed into a hex driven drive hub with this junk from the scrap bin.
View attachment 458780 View attachment 458776

And with a little turning, the rear bearing support, made from an old impact socket, lug nut, and subaru timing belt idler pulley.
The socket presses into the idler pulley recess.
View attachment 458779

This whole contraption should support the rear of the bucket. The front will be supported on two rollers.
Hopefully the gearbox drive, and shaft modification hold up (from earlier). I'll replace the small screws with some bolts or some big GRK screw once the geometry is settled.
View attachment 458783
Last thing to come up with is a flex coupling from the gearbox to the bucket. I'll probably start with some rubber hose clamped on the gearbox output and the rusty bolt hex drive. Don't really want to buy anything and the load should be pretty light so hose might be ok. It only has to last last a few weeks, and then will probably sit on the shelf forever.
Would love to see that contraption in action!!

Mr. Cool. I put a one ton unit in DIY-installed for less than $1,400. Going on four years now, works great I never sweat!
That is the plan!!! :encourage: Mr. Cool as well.

That is the plan!!! :encourage: Mr. Cool as well.
A one ton central air system was right around $1400 added on.

Running high efficiency propane for heat, so adding a coil for air wasn't a major cost increase. You guys in the banana belts probably need air way more than we do!

I came home from work a couple of hours early. I've been unable to place the mill and wire in the Phase Perfect. It took a while to place the mill, and I'm not happy with it, but I don't have another option at present. It's basically in the same place as my last BP clone, but the Lagun FT-2S while a little bigger, is a lot bigger and doesn't fit the space. I'll get pictures later, but I'm squeezing my machinery in the single-car garage. Just about everything is on wheels except the mill, lathe, welding table, and the two large Lyon chests.

Anyway, the PP is installed and the mill runs perfectly. It's the first time I've had power to it since purchasing it several months ago. I still need to figure out the power cord management for it, the DRO, and the power feed. It's progress and I hope to finish this weekend. I may have to move things around - IDK.

IMG_3161.jpg

worm bushing mock-up #1
Start to finish on the Sherline
Failed to meet spec at most every point. Sure is pretty though and learned a lot.
Now that I have mastered all aspects of running a lathe:rolleyes:
2883DF0E-B91F-4865-A908-F9E722512505.jpeg
1C701013-C9A9-47F0-BFDE-C173D491D1C3.jpeg

Mock-up #2 got faced and OD turned on the Sherline.
Mounted up in the RF-30 as my first ever milling project.EDCB3535-D446-48C0-B718-D3068B66F4CB.jpeg
6C902483-91B2-4F78-AD47-ED32472DCE89.jpeg3C1E9E2C-20E0-4F73-A967-C54C1A276679.jpeg
Actually got the ID within spec with a nice finish.

Little by little i managed to clean off the big work table. One of the things i wanted to do and now with another alternator fail is to mount an electric motor under the big table, so i can mount and test alternators and PS pumps. I use countersunk bolts to not interfere with the work surface. I still need to mount a crank pulley to it that made some time back.
IMG_20230820_182003.jpgIMG_20230820_192246.jpg

Back