POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

You keeping that concrete wet?
Apparently keeping it wet can double strength. Drying out even once can stop the cure...

Water is a pretty cheap upgrade... ;)

It rained lightly in the afternoon and during the night... But good point, I will keep some water on it during the day.:encourage:

IMG_2698.jpeg

Don't they put "J" bolts into the concrete for hurricane protection?

I do not know...

Indeed, curing process can make a huge impact!
:encourage:

Last edited:
Rain is good!

Once it's cured a bit, you can flood it.

Last floors here the floor drains were taped off. Just flooded the floors with water. Had about two inches on the basement floor for a while. Kids really enjoy running on and splashing on that while it lasted!

Old timers used to pile straw on them and flood the straw. You can imagine how that kept it damp and cool...

So, work progressed on the tumbler yesterday.

Trying to figure out the cheapest easiest way to mount the bearing (timing idler). For once in my life I lucked out. It matched a hole saw that I had laying in a bucket! So the mount was built with a 2x6 with a hole drilled in, slotted, and a big GRK screw to pinch it in place!
Lucky.jpgForOnce.jpg

Which eventually allowed me to reconfigure the design completely. A few pieces of scrap 2x lumber and osb, and good to go. Took the old gear head motor case and rotated the gear head and end cap to 90 degrees. Then mounted that, and made a quick extension shaft to the drive bolt with a hex that drives the socket and lug nut. Pictures are worth a thousand words...
Tumbler.jpg
This thing isn't industrial, and probably won't last very long. It's nearly full of old chain and driveway gravel, which is beating the living daylights out of the bucket, bearing, and drive. If this fails I might switch over to a belt drive from the gearbox to the bucket pivot. But, it might live long enough to do the trick.

First time trying a video. Hopefully it uploads and displays properly.
View attachment Tumbler.mp4

So, work progressed on the tumbler yesterday.

Trying to figure out the cheapest easiest way to mount the bearing (timing idler). For once in my life I lucked out. It matched a hole saw that I had laying in a bucket! So the mount was built with a 2x6 with a hole drilled in, slotted, and a big GRK screw to pinch it in place!
View attachment 458960View attachment 458959

Which eventually allowed me to reconfigure the design completely. A few pieces of scrap 2x lumber and osb, and good to go. Took the old gear head motor case and rotated the gear head and end cap to 90 degrees. Then mounted that, and made a quick extension shaft to the drive bolt with a hex that drives the socket and lug nut. Pictures are worth a thousand words...
View attachment 458958
This thing isn't industrial, and probably won't last very long. It's nearly full of old chain and driveway gravel, which is beating the living daylights out of the bucket, bearing, and drive. If this fails I might switch over to a belt drive from the gearbox to the bucket pivot. But, it might live long enough to do the trick.

First time trying a video. Hopefully it uploads and displays properly.
View attachment 458957
Perfect!

Not doing much as I've moved to south Carolina and my family is still in Texas, but I did fix a bike light I made many years ago. It stopped charging and it turned out one of the prongs inside the socket was broken.

I was going to replace the board itself but that looked a little more complicated than I thought due to a spacer glued to the back of it. Instead I replaced the broken socket. Thankfully my cameras macro function doesn't let you see the ugly soldering job :)View attachment 458936
I see it, better cover it up before anyone else sees it. So couldn't take the heat of Tx?
You're a lot closer, but still about a day away .

Back