POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Hardware install is done... electrical is done... tank is secured (just need to trim the straps).

Testing the software and the only issue that I am having is the darn Y-axis traveling in the wrong direction... so I can't home the axis with the limit switches.

PC-1.jpeg
PC-2.jpeg
PC-3.jpeg
PC-5.jpeg

Opened a thread at the Langmuir forum to get some help. Oh, and I will open a ticket tomorrow with Langmuir... can't move forward without resolving this.

I did try everything I could find in the forum... Limit switches are working... I can see them in the FireControl software toolbar when I manually close them...

X-axis works fine... even shared a video clip

The geek in me wants to go in and swap the wires for the step motor to change its rotation... but need to wait first for a response from them...

What type of plasma cutter do you have? Did it come with the setup? Do you have a good compressor and dryer? That is critical from my experience with other peoples plasma tables. Wet air causes all kinds of problems. As long as your not in Florida you may be OK.

What type of plasma cutter do you have? Did it come with the setup? Do you have a good compressor and dryer? That is critical from my experience with other peoples plasma tables. Wet air causes all kinds of problems. As long as your not in Florida you may be OK.
Unrelated to the plasma cutter... but I did get it with the table. It is a Razorweld Razorcut 45 CNC with Machine Torch for PRO and it is plug and play with this table setup.

I have not attached air to the system... only testing the CNC functionality.

I got this for improving air intake... Three Stage Air Drying System - I do not have a proper air dryer... Hoping this will be enough for the little use this machine will see...

Air Drying System.jpg
"As long as you are not in Florida..." :grin big::grin big::grin big:

Pick up a Hayden oil cooler and build an after cooler for your compressor. I used a 1299 and it's amazing how much water never reaches my tank. A desiccant filter at the plasma will take care of the rest.

Pick up a Hayden oil cooler and build an after cooler for your compressor. I used a 1299 and it's amazing how much water never reaches my tank. A desiccant filter at the plasma will take care of the rest.
This? https://a.co/d/cU49Gi8

Oh, and the issue with the Y-Axis.... user error of course... I placed the limit switch on the wrong end of the table... What can I say? Stupid is as stupid does... sorry Grandma...

This? https://a.co/d/cU49Gi8

Oh, and the issue with the Y-Axis.... user error of course... I placed the limit switch on the wrong end of the table... What can I say? Stupid is as stupid does... sorry Grandma...
I've had my eye on https://www.ebay.com/itm/295647997783 for several months, but I refuse to take on this dryer project until my others are complete. I'm glad @Firstram posted about his. His is the 1299 which sells for $234 with Prime free delivery. Ebay's is much more expensive and is a little smaller, but it has 21 cores vs. 10. It also has a better mounting system, but is it worth the extra $91 - yes if the extra cores make a big difference? I imagine that twice as many cores are substantial for cooling, but it might be irrelevant. I hope one of our experts will weigh in. My plan was to put an auto drain on it and then plumb it into the tank. I have a few different dryers plumbed in the garage, and my air is pretty dry, but I think an after-cooler is worth it. I picked up a refrigerated dryer a while back on the cheap because it had a broken fitting (plastic). I might try to fix it and install it next to my Crossfire XL. My compressor is outside of my garage, and I used RapidAir plumbing for multiple drops around the garage.

Yes. I went with this dual pass, https://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Automotive-1299-Heavy-Cooler/dp/B000HEADLK , because the hose routing worked better for my set up. Just add a self draining water separator before the tank!

With a full shroud and a 220v muffin fan wired into the motor starter the air is almost down to ambient temperature when it exits the cooler. The dew point is higher when air is under pressure and it really works well. While it's not the same as a refrigerated dryer, I may see an ounce or two weekly if I remember to check the tank drain. This is on a 4 cylinder 7.5hp compressor with a crew of 4-5 in Atlanta.

IMG_5261.JPG
IMG_5262.JPG

I've had my eye on https://www.ebay.com/itm/295647997783 for several months, but I refuse to take on this dryer project until my others are complete. I'm glad @Firstram posted about his. His is the 1299 which sells for $234 with Prime free delivery. Ebay's is much more expensive and is a little smaller, but it has 21 cores vs. 10. It also has a better mounting system, but is it worth the extra $91 - yes if the extra cores make a big difference? I imagine that twice as many cores are substantial for cooling, but it might be irrelevant. I hope one of our experts will weigh in. My plan was to put an auto drain on it and then plumb it into the tank. I have a few different dryers plumbed in the garage, and my air is pretty dry, but I think an after-cooler is worth it. I picked up a refrigerated dryer a while back on the cheap because it had a broken fitting (plastic). I might try to fix it and install it next to my Crossfire XL. My compressor is outside of my garage, and I used RapidAir plumbing for multiple drops around the garage.
Personally, I would stick with the Made in USA Hayden coolers. Not sure the number of passes is as important as the efficiency of the cooling, that cooler would need a fan forcing air through it. With the Hayden tubes running horizontally and the cooling fins vertical, convection alone will remove a lot of heat. I don't agree with using the compressor pully for airflow either, why heat up the air that cools the compressor head?

Back