POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

I used the F&S calculator at littlemachineshop.com/mobile/speeds_feeds.php
For milling low carbon steel with a 1/2", 4-flute carbide, I should spin 2670 RPM and go 32ipm. I played it conservative and went half of that and took only 1/4" depth.
That didn't end well.

I don't usually calculate for manual milling. For CNC stuff, every time.

Have you checked your mill/tool holder for run out?
Do you know what the steel is? What hardness?
Are the end mills sharp, new, and good quality?
Pictures of broken end mills?

Running it through my own feeds and speed spreadsheet, slotting cut, using Harvey Tools recommended values, mild steel gives:
1528 RPM at 10.3 IPM. That's 1.7 thou per tooth at 200 SFPM for 4 flute carbide.
If the steel is harder (HRC 29 to 40ish)
764 RPM, 2.29 IPM. That's 0.76 thou per tooth at 100 SFPM for 4 flute carbide.

Both of those assume 1/2 of the tool diameter as depth of cut, slotting operation.

Sometimes you can run into problems if you don't feed fast enough, the tool rubs and dulls or work hardens the material. Howe you ramp into the material can be hard on tools too.

I'm sure we can figure this out! :)

This is the first piece I've made with steel, having stepped up through wood and then thin aluminum. I resorted to the online F&S calculator specifically because I've always gone by feel using a manual machine. I literally had no idea how fast I was moving the machine. I could not attach a number to the "ipm", 'cause I just turned the handle to make the chips come out looking right.
When you switch to computer control, you have to know the numbers up front, and you want to follow the "Price Is Right". . . close but never over. One would think that Little Machine Shop, which caters to a lot of hobbyist, would take lower power and less rigid machines into consideration. As it stands, all the F&S calculators I have found are useless. They all seem to give numbers that even a BP will never reach.
You have it figured out. Now you are in the correct mind frame. The education comes quickly and will be tailored to your specific equipment and its capabilities. Good on you.

I used the F&S calculator at littlemachineshop.com/mobile/speeds_feeds.php
For milling low carbon steel with a 1/2", 4-flute carbide, I should spin 2670 RPM and go 32ipm. I played it conservative and went half of that and took only 1/4" depth.
That didn't end well.
Because your numbers were so very high, I just used the LMS calculator and for low carbon steel, .5" 4 flute HSS, and get 690 RPM @ 6 IPM.
You must have had a typo in there.

Edit: Apples & oranges. My bad.

Last edited:
Because your numbers were so very high, I just used the LMS calculator and for low carbon steel, .5" 4 flute, and get 690 RPM @ 6 IPM.
You must have had a typo in there.
I think you set the cutter for HSS, not carbide...

Spartanburg :)

My best friend lives there. One of the best auto mechanics on planet earth. Wife is a Clemson grad, the biggest rc airplane flyin in the world is in that area annually so I’m in that area often..

Today i finally had some time to spend in the big garage. I started by moving the storage shelf to its corner. then i looked around and found some offcuts of laminate flooring, join them used some tape to hold them in place till i placed them and made me some shelves. Just i finish that i started to hear rain and hail, so quickly i rearranged couple of cars, it wasn't the biggest hail but it lasted more than an hour. I run around in the rain to see is the small garage alright but i was too late, the drangae has blocked up and the rain gutters fill the entire garage including the inspection pit. With other thing to do i just swept the water from the garage, the inspection pit will be a job for tomorrow.
IMG_20230819_000111.jpgIMG_20230829_161644.jpgIMG_20230829_161654.jpgIMG_20230829_161703.jpgIMG_20230829_180238.jpgIMG_20230829_180210.jpg

My best friend lives there. One of the best auto mechanics on planet earth. Wife is a Clemson grad, the biggest rc airplane flyin in the world is in that area annually so I’m in that area often..
that's super cool! When I get everything moved up here next year and the shop set up, I'll have you both round for a coffee next time you're in town.

Why do you think that she got her craft room in the new house?? And the laser engraver is next...

Opening the door for her? Absolutely! All the time...

I mean, it is not always peaches and cream... We have are ups and downs like every couple. Sometimes she even hits me, but it is because she loves me and I deserve it :D
I pay mine to hit me! Lol !

20230906_172539.jpg
Started cleaning up the years of gunk on this Kurt that I got with my mill. I brought this one home this spring when I bought the machine, along with a bunch of tooling. It laid under the bench, and once I got the machine home, I immediately cleaned up the one that was mounted, no pics before of that one, a yuasa. I will be looking for a swivel base for this one soon.

Back