POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Testing the software and the only issue that I am having is the darn Y-axis traveling in the wrong direction... so I can't home the axis with the limit switches.

Either a direction switch, or just swap the stepper motor A and B phases.
Probably something they messed up during assembly of the cable or drive.

But, I'd call and let them sort it out anyway... ;)

Either a direction switch, or just swap the stepper motor A and B phases.
Probably something they messed up during assembly of the cable or drive.

But, I'd call and let them sort it out anyway... ;)
It was a stupid mistake on my part... installing the limit switch in the wrong location... Glad it was a quick fix.

My tripod for my 25x100 binocular fell over when I was removing the counterweights and broke.
In the process of rebuilding I also improved a couple of iffy parts.
One of them was the large knurled bolt that held the bino to the quadrant plate.
These bino's are heavy and it was very difficult to screw them up tight enough so they wouldnt move so I decided to add a tommy bar.
This was a very simple job, drilled the bolt 6mm, cut an M6 thread on each end of the tommy bar, screwed an acorn nut on each end and turned the nuts down to remove the edges and look better.
Now it bolts up tight with no problems.
tommy-bar2.jpg
There is a round nut inside the rectangular section that prevents the assembly from falling out and walking away in the dark.

Needed to compress the lift assist cylinder for my outboard kicker mount. Greenerd #2 some c-clamps, a 3/8 extension and hose clams. Have plenty of space around the cylinder when installed so worked out well and was easy to release

CDCD3A50-97BD-4C10-864B-203EBD05396E.jpeg

69E79979-1D2F-4D27-B1A5-A99C8C13E15C.jpegE7626FF2-3CF6-4AAF-8134-7B884DD590E0.jpeg

As I've been working on the Hemingway rotary broach kit, I found that my micrometer doesn't allow me to get close enough to the broach in a 5c collet. I needed another way to get closer to the headstock, while allowing me to at least measure closely. I've seen people make their own dial indicator holders before, and thought it was time for me to have one. I made two, one that is the normal v-ways clamping style, and the other that uses two 1/4"-20 holes right above the quick change gear box. I think transfer screws are one of the coolest inventions!

20230909_125632.jpg

20230909_125822.jpg

20230909_130129.jpg

20230909_130246.jpg

With a 2" indicator (I have a 1" I can use if I need to), I should be able to get really close to the headstock for parts in a collet. Now I can move on to making the broach itself.

I did have to use the lathe to undercut the screw heads so that they'd hold the indicators flush, and the v-ways variant has two orientations for the indicator to be bolted up in - facing upwards and facing outwards. All parts were machined from scrap pieces (cut-offs and drops) that were donated by my neighbor.

As I've been working on the Hemingway rotary broach kit, I found that my micrometer doesn't allow me to get close enough to the broach in a 5c collet. I needed another way to get closer to the headstock, while allowing me to at least measure closely. I've seen people make their own dial indicator holders before, and thought it was time for me to have one. I made two, one that is the normal v-ways clamping style, and the other that uses two 1/4"-20 holes right above the quick change gear box. I think transfer screws are one of the coolest inventions!

View attachment 459442

View attachment 459443

View attachment 459444

View attachment 459445

With a 2" indicator (I have a 1" I can use if I need to), I should be able to get really close to the headstock for parts in a collet. Now I can move on to making the broach itself.

I did have to use the lathe to undercut the screw heads so that they'd hold the indicators flush, and the v-ways variant has two orientations for the indicator to be bolted up in - facing upwards and facing outwards. All parts were machined from scrap pieces (cut-offs and drops) that were donated by my neighbor.
I was really confused by the post. When you said micrometer, I thought we were talking a MIC, but I think you mean indicator.

I was really confused by the post. When you said micrometer, I thought we were talking a MIC, but I think you mean indicator.
No, the one I already had is a micrometer stop. It bolts to the v ways, and is about three inches long on the body, so it gets jammed between the saddle and the gear box. It simple doesn't fit when working on small parts. Here is what I had - it is way too long, and obstructs the saddle getting closer to the headstock.

20230909_161111.jpg

It was set aside for the indicators shown in my previous post - planned little devices that should ultimately let me utilize the whole range, and in any position.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
... and with that, I have my first hardened broach.

20230909_174134.jpg

20230909_174320.jpg

I have not truly tested it, but it definitely scraped off some aluminum when I pushed it by hand. It has some bite to it, which should be perfect for custom brass screws.

Back