POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

I appreciate it, guys. Seeing the safety nets fail (and being told that the Navy has no history of reversing decisions flatly by one HR investigator), it's like I've lost religion. The Army inculcates seven values in its soldiers- loyalty, duty, respect, selfless service, honor, integrity, and personal courage. Each one comes with a definition, of course. And the Army noncommissioned officer's creed says "competence is my watchword" and that you always put your subordinates' welfare above your own. These concepts are not lost, but the Navy has no equivalent moral orientation, no watchwords, no enumerated values. Just show up and put on the camo. I thought all service branches were the same- dedicated, hard working, and conscientious. Of course, it always makes my day to work with the Marines, they've got it right. I apologise to any Navy veterans, this seems to be a recent development and is probably confined to the branch medical and military industrial complex zones that I work in. One way to identify a Naval officer here is by the dagger in his back and another in hand.

I took a few weeks off to calm down and reassess. The stress has affected me everywhere, including here, where people come to unwind. I'm working on taking deep breaths, sorry to those who get annoyed with random excess. So, anybody get going on something cool in the shop today?

I appreciate it, guys. Seeing the safety nets fail (and being told that the Navy has no history of reversing decisions flatly by one HR investigator), it's like I've lost religion. The Army inculcates seven values in its soldiers- loyalty, duty, respect, selfless service, honor, integrity, and personal courage. Each one comes with a definition, of course. And the Army noncommissioned officer's creed says "competence is my watchword" and that you always put your subordinates' welfare above your own. These concepts are not lost, but the Navy has no equivalent moral orientation, no watchwords, no enumerated values. Just show up and put on the camo. I thought all service branches were the same- dedicated, hard working, and conscientious. Of course, it always makes my day to work with the Marines, they've got it right. I apologise to any Navy veterans, this seems to be a recent development and is probably confined to the branch medical and military industrial complex zones that I work in. One way to identify a Naval officer here is by the dagger in his back and another in hand.

I took a few weeks off to calm down and reassess. The stress has affected me everywhere, including here, where people come to unwind. I'm working on taking deep breaths, sorry to those who get annoyed with random excess. So, anybody get going on something cool in the shop today?
John, you are doing fine. You bring a wealth of knowledge to this forum in arenas that some folks including myself have limited knowledge in. I for one pay close attention to your chemistry oriented commentary. I don't see where you have crossed in critical lines. From the sounds of your explanation, you have a lot to pray over at the moment. You are shouldering it well good man.

John, you are doing fine. You bring a wealth of knowledge to this forum in arenas that some folks including myself have limited knowledge in. I for one pay close attention to your chemistry oriented commentary. I don't see where you have crossed in critical lines. From the sounds of your explanation, you have a lot to pray over at the moment. You are shouldering it well good man.
@pontiac428
I love your posts and look forward to them. They are informative, inciteful, and humorous. I'm sorry about your work troubles and hope it all works out. Stay strong!

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the support. It's been a tough few months, and the last few weeks things went from tough to just plain stoopid.

My project today was a honey-do task to replace my bathroom fan. It took a few weeks to get in stock and delivered from Lowe's. Our bathroom only needs a little fan, so that was apparently hard to get -are all y'all's bathrooms huge? My house was finished in 1933, apparently a whole family could share a single 6x8 foot bathroom back then. I could have easily got a fan the same day if I felt that I needed (of all things) bluetooth connectivity- I scheist you not, to control fan speeds, timers, multicolored lights, or even a sad little PC speaker for streaming music through... In a bathroom fan. That was what was in the store to choose from- six different fans on offer, none without bluetooth. Have I gone completely insane, or do we need to reassess how we're using the technology? We're tanking the planet to produce stuff we need, and someone thinks I need a fart fan that plays music with colored lights so badly that they've pulled the non-bluetooth fans off the consumer market shelves.

So I got all the stuff I needed together to knock out the job in one single crawl. I put the ladder in the basement stairwell to climb up to the attic... yup, it's as sketchy as it sounds- and donned coveralls and gloves for crawling the adult version of a Chuck-E-Cheese's playhouse, except instead of being stocked knee deep with plastic balls, it's fiberglass insulation and maybe asbestos dust from the plaster and horsehair lathwork. An hour later, I had the hole widened from 6x6 to 8x8, the fan mounted to the joists, new vent line run to the roof jack, taped, sealed, wired, and screwed shut. By the time I got my tools back out of the hole, I'd sweat straight through my coveralls. I was done, stick a fork in me. I clicked on the fan switch, and nothing. Ok, only a 10 watt fan, maybe the switch had some carbon buildup or something. So I replaced the switch. Still nothing. What the hell, Lowe's? Are you skipping testing each unit at the factory because some actuary thinks skipping it and dealing with a few irate customers receiving defective product saves the company enough money to pay an executive a bonus? So I took a nap and tackled it again later. Inside the fan case, I found a molex connector that was doing that thing molex connectors do, where the pins push each other out of the connector housing. A little fiddling and the fan turned on. And there you have it, my project of the day!

Have I gone completely insane, or do we need to reassess how we're using the technology? We're tanking the planet to produce stuff we need, and someone thinks I need a fart fan that plays music with colored lights so badly that they've pulled the non-bluetooth fans off the consumer market shelves.

Or a gas pump that plays ads! WTH? Now, I have to listen to some stupid ad, with some stupid actor, who paid by some moron, to try to sell me something stupid thing I'd never buy. Why can't you idiots just let me pump gas in peace!!!

So, between rainstorms (literally), managed to get the old lathe home.

The setup to load this was pulled right out of my posterior. It seemed a little sketchy. And my biggest concern was that the winch wouldn't have enough power to pull this thing onto the trailer. It's heaver than it looks!
Gosh.jpgI Hope.jpgThis works.jpg

Didn't waste much time after this. Made a quick burn home, and as I was pulling into the drive way the neighbor texted that I'd better get that in the garage ASAP. He was listening to thunder as I rolled past his driveway. Backed it in he garage, unhooked he trailer, pulled the truck out and hit remote garage door button. The door wasn't even closed when the rain hit. That was close!

Getting it off the trailer and to the storage garage is a problem for future me...

Then after the rain quit we proceeded to take down the pool. Kids have outgrown having a pool so time to move it along. No pictures, that was a cold wet, messy ordeal. Hoping to have time to scrape the pad of sand out of there and haul some fresh topsoil before snow starts. It would be really nice to get some grass seed down there too. Yet one more bare spot to try to get grass to grow on!

Or a gas pump that plays ads! WTH? Now, I have to listen to some stupid ad, with some stupid actor, who paid by some moron, to try to sell me something stupid thing I'd never buy. Why can't you idiots just let me pump gas in peace!!!

The setup to load this was pulled right out of my posterior. It seemed a little sketchy. And my biggest concern was that the winch wouldn't have enough power to pull this thing onto the trailer. It's heaver than it looks!
View attachment 461851View attachment 461850View attachment 461849

Didn't waste much time after this. Made a quick burn home, and as I was pulling into the drive way the neighbor texted that I'd better get that in the garage ASAP. He was listening to thunder as I rolled past his driveway. Backed it in he garage, unhooked he trailer, pulled the truck out and hit remote garage door button. The door wasn't even closed when the rain hit. That was close!

Getting it off the trailer and to the storage garage is a problem for future me...

Then after the rain quit we proceeded to take down the pool. Kids have outgrown having a pool so time to move it along. No pictures, that was a cold wet, messy ordeal. Hoping to have time to scrape the pad of sand out of there and haul some fresh topsoil before snow starts. It would be really nice to get some grass seed down there too. Yet one more bare spot to try to get grass to grow on!
"And the green grass grew all around, all around, and the green grass grew all around"

Can't wait to see that one after a good clean up. Got to love the looks of old machines...

This works.jpg

you are a little late for grass seed. needed it down in September.
Nice haul...
Looks like you did get it off the trailer already.

There ain't no peace anywhere any more. Ad agencies leep finding new ways to place their "products." Next thing you know, they'll find a way to project ads onto clouds in the sky!

Congratulations on your timing!

Just FYI, almost always, one of the buttons adjacent the screen will mute the audio. I agree it’s annoying but silencing the ads helps considerably.

Back