POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Took a break from tools . 1 log .....3 days ! 12' x 49" diameter oak log has been sitting in the back yard for 2 years .
Was yours of poor enough quality is wasn't worth sawing into a slab or two? Helped my Dad move one like that a few years ago. Took two tractors to carry it. Someone wanted it for a saw log.

This was the last log left from 4 deliveries . My plan was to make a planter out of it but got tired of looking at it . I could roll it with the Kubota but no way I could lift it . I always wanted a sawmill but haven't bought one yet . Yes , the wood was beautiful and will be more beautiful when burning in the woodstove . :grin:

Attachments

• IMG_9739.JPG
    IMG_9739.JPG
    475.4 KB · Views: 38
Yes , the wood was beautiful and will be more beautiful when burning in the woodstove . :grin:
:cry::cry::cry: white oak? red oak? I love white oak. I have fumed a few pieces, and it's really quite nice.. Not having the high concentration of ammonia , I set up a plastic tent and used a hot plate to cook the ammonia so it fumed more.. Came out a nice medium deep brown. It looked great.

The whole evening, all that was accomplished was this.
View attachment 462253
It's the ends of two 30m fiber pairs, fished through an existing wall, into the basement via the attic, to the network 'closet'. One will run 1.25G for the main network, and the other will be a 10G drop to the FreeNAS box.

And this was all the leftover! (The aqua ones, not plugged in yet) That was close!
View attachment 462254

Only problem is I long ago ran out of SFP ports in the switch. So could really use a 10G SFP+ switch, but they ain't cheap! There are plenty of PCIe slots in the FreeNAS box for more dual SFP+ NICs. Might be cheaper to drop an extra NIC in the FreeNAS box and bridge them. (Throughput and latency through bridged connections are pretty poor for the 10G in that box tho...) But, that's a problem for another night.

Nice! You don't want a bunch of leftover anyway, you might be able to move the switch! :)

If the area the switch lives in can be a bit louder, or you are willing to mod it, used enterprise switches are the way to go for 10G+. Even 40G is pretty reasonable these days. Though you need special optics or MPO fiber.

Had an hour this evening so...
Quadrant assembly cleaned up and ready for an ultrasonic bath.

C1DB7ADB-C92C-4CB2-9973-C55098A68806.jpeg

Nut on the sliding gear has been challenge. would like to get apart but remains in place despite my efforts so far.
BC68675A-6DD0-4758-BA44-FB1B2309E756.jpeg

Yesterday i bought me 3 on this smart battery chargers left one to top up a spare car battery, when i come back this morning garage smell like burnt electronics and both the charger and battery are dead took the covers off and it's melted and burnt, i'm not sure what fails first battery or the charger, but i hope my 100Ah is ok. Its very hard to find good tools at a fair price here in europe.
IMG_20230926_170940.jpgIMG_20231008_100649.jpgIMG_20231008_100913.jpgIMG_20231008_101103.jpg

Yesterday i bought me 3 on this smart battery chargers left one to top up a spare car battery, when i come back this morning garage smell like burnt electronics and both the charger and battery are dead took the covers off and it's melted and burnt, i'm not sure what fails first battery or the charger, but i hope my 100Ah is ok. Its very hard to find good tools at a fair price here in europe.
View attachment 462372View attachment 462373View attachment 462374View attachment 462375
Bummer, glad it didn't start a fire....

John

Today, I tried my hand at annealing brass. I used 750F tempilaq to guide me. I thought oxy/acetylene with a #0 tip and a mellow reducing flame would work, but the first case told me to back off, too hot (it's in the pic). I got a feel for it real quick, although I will be using propane next time. Then I ran it through the sonic disruptor using a Lemishine dishwashing pillow. That worked well. Still have to squeeze them down to .20 cal and thin the necks. They are tumbling now, I decided I wanted the tepillaq stains off. :dunno:

PXL_20231012_223741746.jpg

Back