POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

A couple of months ago, I broke my clamp to hold these measuring rods together. It was made out of maple, and it was the 3rd and final time it broke. I have been clamping them with a paper binder clamp. But they are tough to adjust. These are used for inside measurements in woodworking, and corner to corner for drawers. Today I decided I need to make a new tool, and copying the Lee Valley (Veritas) clamps in style I turned this and then cut the pocket out. Roughed the pocket with a 1/2 end mill, then used the 3/16 long bit to get close in on the corners. Finishing with filing. Not finished, as Volleyball is on the big 10 network right now. Will probably finish filing tomorrow. I probably should have made new rods to match the pocket instead of making the pocket match the rods.
PXL_20231112_003238439.jpgPXL_20231112_010134808.jpg

I gave up trying to find the last bundle of matching ceiling tile and just grabbed the first type in the aisle. I may or may not care about the difference later, right now I don’t…. Now to get serious about outfitting the hobby room.

4CF10930-4231-4065-A129-8D116DEEE747.jpeg

I found it interesting that the gear assemblies can't be removed/installed assembled
IMG_7232.jpeg

So I loosely assembled the gear set after cleaning in an attempt to get into the housing but not possible.
With all the burrs stoned down things slide together with little pressure
IMG_7248.jpeg
Will have to back together same way it came apart.
IMG_7238.jpeg

Housing got cleaned up, one more thing to paint:grin:
IMG_7251.jpeg
IMG_7250.jpeg

Nice!

Nylon Thumbscrew like this?
View attachment 466438
Amazon, eBay & Grainger, in a range of sizes.
No, I think I might go with a brass screw.
I don't usually dress up tools I make. But I think having a screw that is almost the size of the barrel might be nice in the hand. Just rub your thumb over the knurl and it tightens. I have a nylon screw in there now. It was what I used with the old maple box that clamped it. While it's nice for not marring the bars, it just doesn't feel as good as I think a large one would. I can always nylon tip the screw too.

Fixed the mini excavator by installing a predator 420cc. Digged a 2 inch deep trench and planted some tulips etc.
Sometimes repowering makes more sense than rebuilding ;)

John

Yes, but I will rebuilding that one. I got the idea what might be going wrong there. Breake and scrape engine has some known issues

Back