POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Finally completed filing. Next one will be cut closer to size, that was a lot of filing.
View attachment 466433

Try a blank of HSS or similar in a drill chuck (grind a round on one end), and use that as a manual broach using the quill of your mill. You'll have to sharpen the end to get the results you want, but would probably beat filing.

Have done that a few times to make odd shapes you can't normally do in a mill. Just shave a few thou at a time...

Also, You can get nylon tipped screws, I saw them somewhere...

Ordered a 1 1/2" lathe dog off ebay since I didn't have one, ( will likely make an adjustable one in the future) and then found the tang would not fit in the faceplate slots , so milled the sides off and then got to try turning between centers for the first time.
Exciting, and steel is expensive so I cut off a piece of an old Jeep Grand Cherokee track bar that the ball joint wore out on, added some shine to it and should make ok bar stock for some projects.

Also mounted a new rear knobby on the yz.

Attachments

• PXL_20231113_034555408.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231113_034555408.MP.jpg
    593.1 KB · Views: 42
  • PXL_20231111_041005391.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231111_041005391.MP.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 38
  • PXL_20231113_044429488.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231113_044429488.MP.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 39
  • PXL_20231110_061223771_exported_83527.jpg
    PXL_20231110_061223771_exported_83527.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 45
I am. Thank you for the heads up!
I was a PM for a developer building a high end spec house. The tile laborer etched rings in a 350 sqft travertine bathroom floor. The only saving grace was the tile had a honed finish and it could be sanded out, it took him 2 days! Replacement was not an option.

The bath was a 3rd floor master with 9x18 tile laid in a running bond. The framer screwed up bad and the room was 2 1/2" out of square with no way to hide an angled course 18 feet long. We started with 2 courses to get a flat start and built a long straightedge. Every morning we would cut a taper from 5/16 to 0 on the exposed edge and lay one course of stone at the end of the day. By the time we got to the cabinets, everything was parallel!

Picture 044.jpg

Picture 051.jpg

Working on figuring out how to install the air cooler to the compressor...

The plastic cover on the compressor fan is in the way to directly install the side supports... So I need to push those out a bit...

Trying to use what I have at hand...

Air Compressor Cooler-1.jpeg

This gets me to clear the plastic housing. Missing two cross braces, but you all get the idea:

Air Compressor Cooler-2.jpeg

Cross braces will help with rigidity and also to mount the cooler/fan. Right now the supports are 12" apart. The holes for the cooler mounts are at 16" apart.

Air Compressor Cooler-3.jpeg

Got the backhoe operational and running well, and dug right into the new to me Massey Ferguson 390. It has two major oil leaks, one at the transmission, and one at the PTO along with a few lesser ones. Split the tractor at the engine/trans interface and figured I would find the leak at input shaft from the trans, but found all of that assembly to be dry, and apparently recently replaced. The leak was readily apparent below the input shaft at a bearing cover for a secondary trans shaft (12speed). Another case of no attention to detail, which is apparent in several areas on this machine. Nothing real serious, but a long hit list of little stuff to make right. Can't really bi**ch considering overall condition, and very reasonable price. Will update as I get further along. Mike

IMG_20231110_122841410_HDR.jpgIMG_20231110_122854688_HDR.jpgIMG_20231110_122919667_HDR.jpg

The bath was a 3rd floor master with 9x18 tile laid in a running bond. The framer screwed up bad and the room was 2 1/2" out of square with no way to hide an angled course 18 feet long. We started with 2 courses to get a flat start and built a long straightedge. Every morning we would cut a taper from 5/16 to 0 on the exposed edge and lay one course of stone at the end of the day. By the time we got to the cabinets, everything was parallel!
I assume the tile sub covered the extra labor to fix his guy’s errors, but who paid for all of the extra labor cutting & laying the tile?

I assume the tile sub covered the extra labor to fix his guy’s errors, but who paid for all of the extra labor cutting & laying the tile?
My good friend (tile sub) covered the extra sanding labor and I jumped in and helped with the framing issues. Fortunately we wanted to showcase the master bathroom and started there first so tile kept moving on the other 3 bathrooms. It didn’t add much time overall.

Back