POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

The last spec house I built I subbed the framing. Only, and last time. Same deal in one of the bathrooms. 1 1/2" out in 12', how do you even do that? They also had to redo the stairs from the main floor to the garage level (twice) for insufficient head room. Definitely got the B crew on that one. Mike

The last spec house I built I subbed the framing. Only, and last time. Same deal in one of the bathrooms. 1 1/2" out in 12', how do you even do that? They also had to redo the stairs from the main floor to the garage level (twice) for insufficient head room. Definitely got the B crew on that one. Mike
In my case they dropped down on opposite sides of the rafters and the roof was also out a little.

My Son-in-law came up with a project for me. Actually, it was for his dad. I had to place a groove in each end of a .6275x19" axle. The groove needed to be 0.20 from the ends and 0.127 deep. No problemo I thought, or at least until he told me I had a thousand of them to do. Cripes.
Well, he needed them done for a job and was in a bind, so I helped him out. Once I figured out the setup and got rolling, I discovered I could do one complete axle about every 50 seconds. I was getting paid $1 per axle. I wanted to help my SIL out, but I will probably never do it again.
(There are 300 or so in that picture)

Attachments

• PXL_20231006_000212130.jpg
    PXL_20231006_000212130.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 44
My Son-in-law came up with a project for me. Actually, it was for his dad. I had to place a groove in each end of a .6275x19" axle. The groove needed to be 0.20 from the ends and 0.127 deep. No problemo I thought, or at least until he told me I had a thousand of them to do. Cripes.
Well, he needed them done for a job and was in a bind, so I helped him out. Once I figured out the setup and got rolling, I discovered I could do one complete axle about every 50 seconds. I was getting paid $1 per axle. I wanted to help my SIL out, but I will probably never do it again.
(There are 300 or so in that picture)
wow, 1000, that's not a small task, even at 50 seconds per.. Holly cow...

Today I made a frame to replace the sheet metal support for my 5x6 Jet bandsaw. The frame is from 0.75" square tube. IMG_2883.JPG
I know the photo angle makes it look weird but it is a symmetrical truncated pyramid.

The saw base is attached with 5 tabs to the frame (one side does not have a tab, this way I can slide the heavy casting off and not lift it).
IMG_2885.jpg

Then used my new pan brake to make two pans. The first is a 12x4" pan that sits under the blade to catch the chips. Made of 24Ga sheet, I marked the bend lines with a surface marker on the CNC, before cutting it.
IMG_2893.JPG

Then bent it up and added a few spot welds. Might go over the edges with TIG later to make it pretty but it does not need to be fluid tight as I am not using flood coolant.
IMG_2900.JPG

The larger pan sits midheight in the frame and for this one I reinforced the edges to make is stronger.
IMG_2896.JPG

Very pleased with how it came out considering it's my first try; will need to refine my bending technique.
IMG_2897.JPG

IMG_2898.JPG

Got the backhoe operational and running well, and dug right into the new to me Massey Ferguson 390. It has two major oil leaks, one at the transmission, and one at the PTO along with a few lesser ones. Split the tractor at the engine/trans interface and figured I would find the leak at input shaft from the trans, but found all of that assembly to be dry, and apparently recently replaced. The leak was readily apparent below the input shaft at a bearing cover for a secondary trans shaft (12speed). Another case of no attention to detail, which is apparent in several areas on this machine. Nothing real serious, but a long hit list of little stuff to make right. Can't really bi**ch considering overall condition, and very reasonable price. Will update as I get further along. Mike

Back