POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Super simple but took this apart to clean what seemed like a metric ton of grime and chips off and re-indexed the face. It is so smooth now. I have a large queue of jobs this week, not sure how I plan on attacking it. Have to cut down and mill 187 AK rear trunnions and weld back together. I need to make some kind of jig. I will try and remember to snap some pics.

IMG_20231122_122040628_HDR~2.jpg

completed. I have 7 full length pieces left.. I just stuck a cut off in the notch closest.
The cut out around the mill came out close.. not perfect. But good enough.

With the excess if I like it, I may do more near other machines. I'm hoping the foam underneath provides just the right cushion, and less embedded swarf.
1700686765174.png

I have taken a break from building a SideBoard for my son. It's one of those projects from hell. I am just not into it.
So I need a mental break.

I decided to put the flooring down that I got from freecycle to replace my hard rubber mats. These are not like you get in most of the stores. These are hard rubber. The problem is they don't like OIL.

I am hoping that I like these. I haven't decided whether to lay a bead of glue on each interlock. I was really surprised how much crap went under the old rubber ones. Ton's of swarf, and apparently something else...

edit: OUCH.. there was some sharp swarf in the VCT tile joints. Really stuck in there. I made the mistake of running my hand over it, and it opened me good. Now taking a scraper and cleaning that out... Holy Crap.
I tried the rubber mates and they seemed to get way to much embedded in them, I finally gave up on them...

completed. I have 7 full length pieces left.. I just stuck a cut off in the notch closest.
The cut out around the mill came out close.. not perfect. But good enough.

With the excess if I like it, I may do more near other machines. I'm hoping the foam underneath provides just the right cushion, and less embedded swarf.
View attachment 467743
I have laminate floor in most of my shop, not around the mill and lathe but I’ve been tempted.

It was there when I moved in and has held up well. Cheap at ReStore too.

John

I have laminate floor in most of my shop, not around the mill and lathe but I’ve been tempted.

It was there when I moved in and has held up well. Cheap at ReStore too.

John
I lucked into this on Freecycle, so it cost me nothing but gas to pick it up. I'm hoping it holds up, and the sharp swarf doesn't imbed.
It will take time to determine if I like it, and if it holds up. I'll report back on occasion .. I just don't want to stand on a concrete floor , and after seeing what was under the interlock, I'm thinking there is enough wiggle between the interlock to let a lot under it.

Glad to hear that it has held up.

IMG_3534.jpegI lucked into this on Freecycle, so it cost me nothing but gas to pick it up. I'm hoping it holds up, and the sharp swarf doesn't imbed.
It will take time to determine if I like it, and if it holds up. I'll report back on occasion .. I just don't want to stand on a concrete floor , and after seeing what was under the interlock, I'm thinking there is enough wiggle between the interlock to let a lot under it.

Glad to hear that it has held up.

Back