POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

I USE a knife for the crabs . The mallet is for keeping every ones hands off MY crabs . :cussing:
I was amused that the knife I found on Amazon actually had its identify stamped on the handle. Then I dug out my collection:

20231204 Crab Knives.jpeg
The top pair was purchased from Linton's Seafoods in 2009 for $15 each (they're $30 each now), with the obverse stamped "CRAB KNIFE;" the reverse is stamped with Tool Master Baltimore's logo.

The bottom knife was purchased from R. Murphy, also in 2009 (I was preparing for a Crab Feast). Scrolling down on the Amazon page I found last night I see that the "Ramelson" knife is sourced from R. Murphy, but mine does not have the insulting "CRAB KNIFE" stamped on it.

In my case, maybe these should have "Old Crab's Knife" stamped on them?

I was amused that the knife I found on Amazon actually had its identify stamped on the handle. Then I dug out my collection:

View attachment 469340
The top pair was purchased from Linton's Seafoods in 2009 for $15 each (they're $30 each now), with the obverse stamped "CRAB KNIFE;" the reverse is stamped with Tool Master Baltimore's logo.

The bottom knife was purchased from R. Murphy, also in 2009 (I was preparing for a Crab Feast). Scrolling down on the Amazon page I found last night I see that the "Ramelson" knife is sourced from R. Murphy, but mine does not have the insulting "CRAB KNIFE" stamped on it.

In my case, maybe these should have "Old Crab's Knife" stamped on them?
Wait, there is a knife for that??? I would just use a claw...

You’ve been saying that for years!

He's getting quite the reputation :laughing:
LOL , yes I am . :grin: More stuff going out this week . One day I'll run out of collectibles but it sure won't be this year ! :encourage: Outside today moving some wood tools around , found the linear slides and cutting up the pumpkins for the neighborhood deer. Feet are frozen .

Pulled the masking tape and plugs off the painted bits last night.
IMG_7363.jpeg

Spent some time contemplating how to remove the tapered pin from the headstock.
These type of challenges tend to bring progress to a crawl as it's all new to me.
IMG_7366.jpeg

Spent some time contemplating how to remove the tapered pin from the headstock.
These type of challenges tend to bring progress to a crawl as it's all new to me.
View attachment 469479
Easy, just flip the bed over and drive it right out. Or, try jacking the headstock off using the ways that run past the headstock.

Tapered pins are supposed to be accessible from the small end, and if this can't be accomplished the large end should be tapped so you can pull them.

GoodLuck; let us know how you did it.

Raise the head stock or take it off the bed. Then it is easy to tap out. The large head of the tapered pin is what is visible from the top. Why take the head stock off? It could be a project to align when putting back together. If it was cutting straight I wouldn’t pull the head stock

Easy, just flip the bed over and drive it right out. Or, try jacking the headstock off using the ways that run past the headstock.

Tapered pins are supposed to be accessible from the small end, and if this can't be accomplished the large end should be tapped so you can pull them.

GoodLuck; let us know how you did it.

Raise the head stock or take it off the bed. Then it is easy to tap out. The large head of the tapered pin is what is visible from the top. Why take the head stock off? It could be a project to align when putting back together. If it was cutting straight I wouldn’t pull the head stock
Thanks for the advice gentlemen!
The hole does go through but there is no straight line access to get a punch in from below even if I flip over. The bed casting slopes upwards under the flat way so only about a 1/2" of space to work in.

Never turned a part on the lathe after purchasing so no idea of the current alignment.
Have gone through all the other components and headstock is all that remains.
Based on current track record it will need bushings, unclogging of oil passages and gunk removal.
Honestly realignment of the head intimates me far less than getting the taper pin out.

Back