POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

I go back to the car, and my wife has the VIN so I walk back in... Nope, I need the whole assembly... I don't want the whole assembly, I only need the plastic tubing... I can't sell it to you.

F.. so off to tractor supply.

Good for you Jeff, NOT giving the (ridiculous amount of) money to the dealership!

/rant on/
They over price the parts and as you've seen the workers don't do a proper job:
i) they sell you an over-priced gas cap, just hoping that's the issue, without checking it! causing a return visit,
ii) they don't even clean up the mouse mess,
iii) they do NOT replace all the plastic fasteners that the designers say should be there?
Three strikes!

If they won't sell me the $5.00 part I need then they'll never get to sell me anything else again, ever!!!
....and I don't buy the "I can't sell it to you" either.... they are just trying to protect there "business" of getting people bent over the barrel!

I hate useless scum-sucking jack-holes like this!

/rant off/

Brian

I also got a free compressor, 5hp, 2 stage, 80 gal. The pressure switch failed so I replaced it with a 125psi to give me a little safety margin.

For a drain I put a fitting at the bottom and fixed the valve on the side of my workbench with tubing run to a convenient spot.

John
That is a good idea...

I left it like this for now... Could not find a brass elbow... will replace that at a later time.

IMG_4822.jpeg

That is a good idea...

I left it like this for now... Could not find a brass elbow... will replace that at a later time.

View attachment 399987
That works. I recommend you move the valve to the other end of the pipe so you don’t have to reach under the compressor. It makes it much easier to drain it.

That works. I recommend you move the valve to the other end of the pipe so you don’t have to reach under the compressor. It makes it much easier to drain it.

7416B010-4A96-4A38-9C27-A3AAE01492F8.jpeg
Facepalm: the gesture of placing the palm of one's hand across the face, as to express embarrassment, frustration, disbelief, etc.

That is a good idea...

View attachment 399987
If I could make a suggestion, it is easier to drain the tank if you put the valve after the extension pipe so it is easier to reach.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

/rant on/
They over price the parts and as you've seen the workers don't do a proper job:
my forester is only 6 years old, never been off road only done 29825 kms.
Had to replace 1 rear wheel bearing yesterday with 1 GENUINE SUBARU WHEEL BEARING $342.05
It wont last as it must be made of solid gold at that price and gold is too soft.

If I could make a suggestion, it is easier to drain the tank if you put the valve after the extension pipe so it is easier to reach.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Just keep rubbing it in... yeah... I have always mentioned that, given two options/alternatives, I go for the more complex one...

I now know! I now know!! Goodness... what an ability to complicate my life!!! :grin big::grin big::grin big: I could have had the valve installed at the END of the pipe... making easier for me to reach it.... What a dumbass... :grin big:

Double facepalm it is!

jiFfM.jpg

my forester is only 6 years old, never been off road only done 29825 kms.
Had to replace 1 rear wheel bearing yesterday with 1 GENUINE SUBARU WHEEL BEARING $342.05
It wont last as it must be made of solid gold at that price and gold is too soft.
I had a subaru.. I had both front wheel bearings fail. I brought it in and they told me it was fine... 3 times I kept telling them when I turn it is rubbing and sounds like it's grinding away. The third time they figured it out (wtf didn't they figure it out earlier, they are known for bearing failures)... over 650 back in 2001... they asked why I didn't bring it in sooner. WTF... the other side went a few months later... same stupid thing... nothing wrong... I told them it was a bearing, they told me it was fine...
At 120k the service manager said my head gasket would go... mine went at 110k.. The car was great in snow, in Colorado I could fly down the highway pass the snow plows, and all the SUVs. But I will not own another due to the low quality. My Hondas and Toyotas have been pretty much bullet proof.

Should I mention my clutch flew apart in traffic. I'm sitting in traffic and the rivets blew out, and plates came off and the spring steel from the hub to the disk was all bent up... They had never seen anything like it... When they gave it back to me, my pedal went to the floor, I had no spring return to neutral it just flopped around like a dead fish..

I could go on.

Brian, why don't you tell us how you really feel? I can totally relate, and would never take anything I owned to a dealer, or anyone else for that matter, but many don't have that option. I would suggest trying an independent shop, for anyone not doing their own work, and Brian, buddy, I probably have a Valium around here somewhere, if it would help. ;)

Quote: I hate useless scum-sucking jack-holes like this!

Back