POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Well the saga continues. Wife goes out and the car throws the same error..
Brings it in to Toyota and they tell us that a mouse has made a home by the gas tank infill and chewed through the hose. part is on back order, $420 ... for an infill pipe??? WTF.. 860 installed. I can install it myself, but still..... And why does it have to disable All wheel drive????
They tell me to talk to insurance...
I hate when manufacture do that, when the check engine light is on it shut down the A/C or other accessories, you are half way there remove the filler and fix it, there is many epoxies that are gasoline resistant like JB weld clean it glue it and don't worry about it.

So the gas cap that they already replaced was fine.
The "leak" was due to the mouse, not the cap.

So, Why didn't they test the old gas cap?
It would have saved you the bad diagnosis and the second trip!

Brian

So the gas cap that they already replaced was fine.
The "leak" was due to the mouse, not the cap.

So, Why didn't they test the old gas cap?
It would have saved you the bad diagnosis and the second trip!

Brian
they are saying the gas cap was bad, that it was 6 weeks ago, but I don't think that's the case... I agree.

I have worked on import cars for a living longer than I care to admit and the Evaporative emission code is the last code you want to see. The leak detection sounds off if it fails the test. The test is equivalent to .040' hole over ten minutes time or something like that. really hard to find. You can't see the leak, hear the leak, maybe smell it if lucky. I have chased gas caps as being the problem more than once so the first thing to do is that. Fixes it more than not, and anything more is really hard. If you don't use a factory cap that can cause the problem by itself. there is no reliable test for the cap.

Why they kill AWD I don't know. Subaru wipes out cruise control. I think they try to force you to fix it. I wouldn't be surprised the EPA might have required some more reason than just the light.

If you can fix the leak with JB weld, that might be all you need to do. I would try it. If it does cure it you have to reset the code, but any parts house has a reader and can do that. We reset and read for free here. Sometimes you want to see a code at least twice before diving right in and found it better to wait for the code to repeat.

Often the code reset requires two key cycles to return. The Cap may have preceded the rodent problem.

I hate when manufacture do that, when the check engine light is on it shut down the A/C or other accessories, you are half way there remove the filler and fix it, there is many epoxies that are gasoline resistant like JB weld clean it glue it and don't worry about it.
I wish I could, but we park in the garage, And if the car ever goes up in flames and wipes out the house, I am sure my claim would be denied.

it's that .01% that I'm not going to risk. I would like to live out my days comfortably.

the speaker wires on the sony are up and down and on this connector wire left and right. I moved them around and now it works.
This is the kind of stuff that impresses me about you! :)

I have worked on import cars for a living longer than I care to admit and the Evaporative emission code is the last code you want to see. The leak detection sounds off if it fails the test. The test is equivalent to .040' hole over ten minutes time or something like that. really hard to find. You can't see the leak, hear the leak, maybe smell it if lucky. I have chased gas caps as being the problem more than once so the first thing to do is that. Fixes it more than not, and anything more is really hard. If you don't use a factory cap that can cause the problem by itself. there is no reliable test for the cap.

Why they kill AWD I don't know. Subaru wipes out cruise control. I think they try to force you to fix it. I wouldn't be surprised the EPA might have required some more reason than just the light.

If you can fix the leak with JB weld, that might be all you need to do. I would try it. If it does cure it you have to reset the code, but any parts house has a reader and can do that. We reset and read for free here. Sometimes you want to see a code at least twice before diving right in and found it better to wait for the code to repeat.

Often the code reset requires two key cycles to return. The Cap may have preceded the rodent problem.
Newer cars with all their emission controls are getting out of control, the other day i got a call from a friend to change an oxygen sensor on a BMW, that car has 8 oxygen sensors 4 catalytic converters and a check engine light that is always illuminated, that is why i like my cars a bit older, it also helps that here we don't have emission control still.

Diagnosing a newer BMW with the factory tool, it requires you to repair each fault as you go or it won't procede with the test. This includes body controllers too, and on a modern fancy dressed Beemer there can be 100 controllers for the whole car.

Back in the old days we would make a spacer that screwed into the factory hole. 18mx1.25 if I remember, and then thread the same hole in the spacer, and screw the O2 in there. It just spaced the sensor further from the action and dulled it's senses enough not to cry foul all the time.

just trying to maintain a machinability direction in the thread and not turn it into a car forum, although I don't mind that talk at all either.

Newer cars with all their emission controls are getting out of control, the other day i got a call from a friend to change an oxygen sensor on a BMW, that car has 8 oxygen sensors 4 catalytic converters and a check engine light that is always illuminated, that is why i like my cars a bit older, it also helps that here we don't have emission control still.
4 catalytic converters???? 1 or 2 fine... 4???

Back