POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

It's a little coincidental that the conversation has turned to circular saws...

Right after I finished up with the angle grinder, I started tinkering with a Skil 77 that I picked up a few weeks ago...

View attachment 466939

It runs pretty smooth... or it does with no load... I'll get back to that.

The power cord had been cut and spliced a few times, and it was terribly nasty, but seemed to be in good condition for $10...

I started to disassemble it yesterday to clean it good... the deeper I got into it, the worse it became. To start with, the rear handle had a hairline crack above the trigger and fell apart upon disassembly.

The brushes looked very good, but after removing the motor housing, it's apparent that the commutator needs some attention... that's not a big issue. As I was removing the armature from the gearbox housing, I found this...

View attachment 466942

It might have spun smoothly with no load, but under load may have been different...

After removing the armature, I discovered the bearing on the other end is almost locked... and the front of the motor housing in front of the fan was completely packed with a mixture of sawdust and gearbox oil...

View attachment 466943

There is supposed to be cooling slots through there...

On a brighter note, the worm gear set looks very good, with just a very small amount of wear...

View attachment 466944

But then... after cleaning the crud off the gearbox housing, I discovered a crack in the casting... I don't know how serious it is, I have it soaking in the cleaning tank. I'll have to clean it good and evaluate it.

So... I'll need a power cord, two bearings, a new handle, new gearbox housing, and the operating handle on the lower guard is missing. All of these parts are available... but the cost is prohibitive, considering that I can still buy this saw new for around $150...

It may wind up parted out on ebay... IDK.

-Bear

An update on the saw...

The crack in the gearbox housing is on one corner... this corner is about to break completely off...

20231130_153901.jpg

20231130_153923.jpg

I had about decided to scrap the saw... then found a good used gearbox housing on ebay for $20... I went ahead and bought it, even though I'm about to have more invested in this saw than it's worth.

I have been known to throw good money after bad occasionally...

Anyhow... I started reassembling the saw this afternoon...

20231207_152219.jpg20231207_152212.jpg

I think maybe I have everything I need to finish it... maybe...

-Bear

Project of the afternoon was to learn how to use an airbrush...

B3.jpeg

My wife gave me a nasty look when she saw me painting inside the house, so I ordered a spray booth... For now, I am just improvising. Acrylic paint, so no nasty fumes...

B5.jpeg

Coat of primer applied...

B6.jpeg

Also building some billboards... I want to setup a 1:32 scale slot track with some scenery... Got a few kits from the UK, from this company: https://magneticracing.com/product-category/billboards/ . All laser cut MDF boards that you assemble together.

B1.jpeg
B7.jpeg
B8.jpeg
MR-1.jpeg

Last edited:
I didn’t make this. My grandfather on my dad’s side carved it out of one piece of wood. Was about a foot longer before I broke a link. Made around the 40’s.

Attachments

• 1C90CE5E-F024-4344-81A5-FB78221EBF29.jpeg
    1C90CE5E-F024-4344-81A5-FB78221EBF29.jpeg
    482.7 KB · Views: 33
That is so like the potato chips we used to make when we were bored at work.
Caveat - I havnt done this for probably 50 years so I miss cut one link.
Take a thick slice of potato about 1/4" thick, leave a 1/2" border at the top and bottom of the slice, make parrallel cuts through the slice but dont pass through the borders.
soak in salty water for about 10 mins to make it a bit more flexible.
interweave a sharp thin blade between the strips
spud1.jpg
Carefully slice through all strips at the middle of the border, I blew it and lost a link.
spud2.jpg
flip the slice over and interweave again ensuring you are doing it in the opposite orientation.
spud3.jpg
This should produce two interwoven slices
spud4.jpg
Trim the bits off between the links then slice the links to separate them.
spud5.jpg
gently lift one end and they will separate into joined links
spud6.jpg
Then deep fry to serve a chain of chips

I know the above has nothing to do with machining but the wooden chain bought back so many memories that I had to do it again even if its only a little one.
We used to have competitions as to who could make the longest chain, I got close but never won.

Parts diagram calls it out as a #6 x 1 1/2" taper pin and I discussed with Clausing technical support to verify that it was just a standard taper pin. Have new one on the way for a first hand look.
I was able to lift the headstock about 3/16" but she came to hard stop at that point.

Maybe you want to just drill it out. I had to drill out a taper pin for my back gear. It was not coming out any other way.

Last edited:
Projected 20 minutes and a beer to make the cut.
Held off on the beer and did it in 18 :D
IMG_7376.jpeg

Mating surfaces got through the ordeal without any damage. Will be much easier to deal with the remnant in the bed now.
IMG_7377.jpeg

IMG_7386.jpeg

Ready to start cleaning!
IMG_7383.jpeg

Back