POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

All caulking done... it gets painted next weekend...

Looking good! Electrical next?

What caulk material did you end up using? (Curious, as I've been having a hard time finding anything that holds up well around here.)

Looking good! Electrical next?

What caulk material did you end up using? (Curious, as I've been having a hard time finding anything that holds up well around here.)
For sealing, I bought OSI Quad Max 9.5-oz white paintable advanced sealant caulk.

Also got Sika fast setting 10.1-fl oz crack filler to use on the nail’s heads…

I am installing the tile next… then installing a row of panels 4’ tall, on the walls. Figure I would leave the rest open to run the electrical…

Then I move everything over from the garage in Orlando…

After that I then need to hire an electrician to run and install a 200 amp box…

Then I move everything over from the garage in Orlando…

After that I then need to hire an electrician to run and install a 200 amp box…

I'm betting your electrician would prefer to do the electrical before you fill the space up. We have all marveled at your buying power .

If you could give them basic locations for equipment it might even save you a few tool dollars.

What are you doing for insulation and above the 4' wainscote ? I've been putting metal panels and cement boards in my welding, grinding areas.

I'm betting your electrician would prefer to do the electrical before you fill the space up. We have all marveled at your buying power .

If you could give them basic locations for equipment it might even save you a few tool dollars.

What are you doing for insulation and above the 4' wainscote ? I've been putting metal panels and cement boards in my welding, grinding areas.

I want to run the electrical inside the shop... I just need the electrician to bring 200 amp to the building and end on a breaker panel. From there I can take over...

For insulation I was going to get a quote on spray foam insulation... thinking that once the electrical is done and I close the rest of the wall, they can pour the foam from the top. But I have not call them to check pricing... I need to call to see what is more cost effective... spray foam or regular insulation rolls (batt).

Good point on the grinding and welding areas... I was planning on using some diamond-pattern aluminum sheets... but not sure yet.

Floor, it was around 4,500 for epoxy... I don't think so. For 2,000, the floor will be tiled (doing the work myself) with these:

Tiles.jpeg

Or I could just leave it as is and only seal it... save the 2,000.00 in tiles and my labor. I only got two boxes so far that I was planning on installing in a corner to run some tests on them...

Last edited:
FWIW, foam is sprayed directly in the stud bays, not poured after the fact. Pouring 2 part foam in a closed wall could be disastrous if not done cautiously. What is that exterior siding, I really like how smooth it looks!

FWIW, foam is sprayed directly in the stud bays, not poured after the fact. Pouring 2 part foam in a closed wall could be disastrous if not done cautiously. What is that exterior siding, I really like how smooth it looks!
Good to know... was not aware of that. I had seen videos where they would drill a hole and fill...

Exterior siding: Hardie boards over the OSB panels and barrier. Texture on those boards looks similar to the finish on the outside wall of the house.

Primed HZ10 Fiber Cement Stucco Panel Siding 48-in x 96-in https://www.lowes.com/pd/James-Hard...l-Stucco-Fiber-Cement-Vertical-Siding/3108837

If you're going to be welding, you probably don't want epoxy on the floor. Tile or concrete for anything like that.

We did spray in cellulose. Really happy with that. A buddy did spray foam in his brand new house. He and his wife have been getting headaches from what he thinks is offgassing chemicals from the foam. Probably be fine after dries fully, but something to consider...

For insulation I was going to get a quote on spray foam insulation... thinking that once the electrical is done and I close the rest of the wall, they can pour the foam from the top. But I have not call them to check pricing... I need to call to see what is more cost effective... spray foam or regular insulation rolls (batt).

Spray foam will be quite a bit more money but WELL worth it. I live in the same general area of Fla. as you and I have it in our home. Personally, I wouldn't even conceder batts. My garage is attached to the house and I had it sprayed in the garage attic and installed a mini split. With the mini split set at 78 the garage stays nice and cool even after the wife parks in the garage. In about 5 minutes you can't tell the garage door was ever opened, even in the middle of summer with a hot car in the garage.

Please don't use spray foam. That stuff will make your eyes burn and give you rash for months after, and make you sensitive to future exposure. It's isocyanate, read up. Also, it burns hot and fast and is easily ignited, producing cyanide in the choking dense smoke while it burns. Look that up, too. I don't know why it's even legal, for all the people it's put in the hospital and in the ground. Yes, you can read that stuff too! Batts work, they damp sound, and glass fiber doesn't absorb moisture or catch fire. All good reasons to use it instead. I sure did. My shop doesn't leak noise to bother the neighbors and doesn't irritate my mucous membranes from offgassing toxic carp.

Back