POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

T-nuts are not normally through threaded all the way as a safety. Prevents damaging the table by breaking out the top of the slot.
Be careful! or better modify those T-nuts.
Thanks for the heads-up. The nuts that came with the cheapie clamp kit that I bought are the ones that I thinned, and they were through-drilled from the start. So were the nuts I bought from McMaster. I will be careful.

Rick "would have preferred a table with deeper slots" Denney

At the Tuckahoe machine shop we have a 19" Leblond lathe (with 4" risers) and we needed a more convenient place to put the chuck wrenches. I wasn't particularly busy a few weekends ago and I decided to come up with a solution. The prior weekend I was cleaning up the shop a bit and I ran across this stainless steel strut in our scrap pile. So I cut off about 2/3 of the strut, champfered the edges, and enlarged the mounting hole to fit a 1/4-20 cap screw. The lid on the top of the Leblond already had two bosses with 1/4-20 threaded holes in it. On the one closest to the headstock I mounted the pipe and it worked great for holding the chuck wrench we use the most. Then my buddy asked me if I could make another one for the other chuck wrench and I said sure. I got the shorter piece of the strut, moved the longer one to the hole farther away, and mounted the shorter one closest to the chuck. Now both of the wrenches are right there within reach. Couldn't have worked out better if I had planned it that way!
Go kart seat mounting strut. :grin:

Thanks for the heads-up. The nuts that came with the cheapie clamp kit that I bought are the ones that I thinned, and they were through-drilled from the start. So were the nuts I bought from McMaster. I will be careful.

Rick "would have preferred a table with deeper slots" Denney
Quick fix is put the peen side of a ball peen hammer in the table side hole and give it a reasonable smack. I'm sure you know smacking hammer faces together is generally not recommended, but who knows who may read this someday.

Ron

I have been applying caulking at all joints in preparation for the painters to go over the shop tomorrow... I should be able to finish today, after work...

Garage doors arrive tomorrow, and if all goes well, this should be finished by Monday...

Applying caulking.jpeg
61631ECE-E049-4A56-89A7-AFD82033608D.jpeg
1338F00F-C702-4B2B-ACBA-7DDFB575EAFD.jpeg

Last edited:
Back