POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Cleaning up a couple of D1-6 chucks for the 612 lathe.
The left is an 18" 4 jaw Cushman I bought some time ago from Lost Creek machinery. Haven't cracked it open yet. On the right, came with the lathe, is a 12" 3 jaw Italian MPT that was very stiff but appears to be in good condition. Completely disassembled, cleaned, Evapo-rust, and light grease, still stiff when assembled. Appears the back of the chuck is pressing on the worm gear and needs to be shimmed out about .004 so I'm waiting on some shim washers from McMaster. Guess I'll start on the 4-jaw while waiting. I also have a small 6 jaw for that lathe, neither of these pictured chucks has a RPM limit visible on them but spinning either one up to 1500 (top spindle speed for that lathe) is beyond my comfort level.
View attachment 484885
My bison is very stiff, perhaps that is what gives it the accuracy.

My bison is very stiff, perhaps that is what gives it the accuracy.
Thought about that, but it doesn't make sense. If the stiffness was from the jaws sliding in the chuck that would make sense, but here jaw-scroll play is really all that could matter. The scroll fits well inside the chuck radially which would matter on accuracy. But with square threads between the jaw and scroll there is no benefit to excess axial pressure on the scroll. Besides, the excess pressure on the scroll just creates pressure on the interior of the chuck body not the jaws, increasing the wear on the scroll/body interface. My *guess* is this was originally shimmed for fit, so that shims could later be removed as the scroll wore, and somewhere along the line those shims got lost.

I'm hoping this will make a nice First Robotics WORM gear box ... looks promising! I wish the output hole was small enough to -really- broach 1/2" hex! It just barely catches the corners.

I wish there was a size smaller
8960e06a23754aa1a1dedabc1446b14c.jpg

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Finally got the Victor lathe taper attachment all cleaned up and painted. Installation went well. Drilling for a couple taper pins was a bit of a chore, but shop dog and I managed.
IMG_1204.jpg
I had to make my own adjustment knob. The goal was to make it reasonably close to the original Victor. Did not have much to go on. For the knob I used a drop of 316 stainless. The lead screw is also stainless, 5/16-24 thread. Marked 10 divisions around the knob. Each division equates to about .005" per foot of taper. I may pull the knob later and increase granularity between the divisions.
IMG_1201.jpg
Here it is all buttoned up, road tested and race ready.
IMG_1205.jpg

Now, if I can just remember where I put all them eggs!

Happy Easter everyone.

Appears the back of the chuck is pressing on the worm gear and needs to be shimmed out about .004 so I'm waiting on some shim washers from McMaster.
Finally figured out what happened. The backplate has a raised center portion and is recessed around the rim where it bolts to the chuck. The chuck center is recessed by .181". The backplate center is raised by .185", creating a small gap around the rim where it should be in direct contact. Of course tightening the backplate down distorts both the backplate and the inner plate in the back of the chuck. Apparently over time that inner plate distortion became permanent, rather than elastic.

I faced .020" off the backplate, and will still need to shim the inner plate that retains the scroll. There is probably a bit of internal stress in that inner plate that may change over time which may have some impact on it's long term accuracy, but I think it should still be usable.

Arrived Friday night from PR and it was all about emptying the house in Orlando… three trips done. The last one made a slight dent on all the carp in the garage.

And I found the Hooters calendar that I have been saving for the workshop…since 2012!!

IMG_5037.jpeg
IMG_5109.jpeg
IMG_5124.jpeg
IMG_5119.jpeg
Still a mess, but I will get it moved over this week…
IMG_5118.jpeg
Now at the other house
IMG_5136.jpeg
IMG_5133.jpeg

Last edited:
Back