POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Finished doing an epoxy coating on my new garage floor. Used an Armorpoxy kit from Amazon

Before
View attachment 485190View attachment 485191

Ground out and fixed the crack in the floor with sikaflex crack flex seal
View attachment 485183View attachment 485184View attachment 485185
Degreased, scrubbed and pressure washed the floor
View attachment 485186

Washed, etched and washed again
View attachment 485187

Painted, flecked, painted some more after I screwed up the flecking, picked a bunch of insects out of it, then did the top coat. It’s incredibly non slip with all the (painted) flecks and grit. Has some small blown in crap in the clear coat by the door from the gusty wind, but it looks great of you don’t look too closely. Giving it at least two weeks before moving any of my smaller machinery in there

View attachment 485188View attachment 485189
the after pics have lights on, which the earlier don't, so not apples to apples, but it looks way more reflective and lighter. I like that you painted over the flecking since that would be hard to find a screw, but does it work as well at preventing slippage. I guess you'll find out. LOOKS GREAT though. Does the epoxy stay flexible over the sika flex? some epoxies do remain flexible, but most are hard as a rock.

Finished doing an epoxy coating on my new garage floor. Used an Armorpoxy kit from Amazon

Before
View attachment 485190View attachment 485191

Ground out and fixed the crack in the floor with sikaflex crack flex seal
View attachment 485183View attachment 485184View attachment 485185
Degreased, scrubbed and pressure washed the floor
View attachment 485186

Washed, etched and washed again
View attachment 485187

Painted, flecked, painted some more after I screwed up the flecking, picked a bunch of insects out of it, then did the top coat. It’s incredibly non slip with all the (painted) flecks and grit. Has some small blown in crap in the clear coat by the door from the gusty wind, but it looks great of you don’t look too closely. Giving it at least two weeks before moving any of my smaller machinery in there

View attachment 485188View attachment 485189
Nice, I did that once….

John

That floor looks great! Did epoxy on the basement floor before we moved in. It's where the machines live, and being able to just wipe up oil where these old tools dribble is so much easier. I've chipped it in a few places where I've dropped heavy things (Heavy enough it also chipped the concrete under). At 7 years in, it was worth the time doing it.

the after pics have lights on, which the earlier don't, so not apples to apples, but it looks way more reflective and lighter. I like that you painted over the flecking since that would be hard to find a screw, but does it work as well at preventing slippage. I guess you'll find out. LOOKS GREAT though. Does the epoxy stay flexible over the sika flex? some epoxies do remain flexible, but most are hard as a rock.
Some apples to apples picsIMG_2830.jpegIMG_2831.jpegIMG_2832.jpeg
It is considerably brighter in there, though obviously that will decrease as stuff gets loaded into it.

Funny you say about painting over the flecks - I originally was going to do solid color for the reason you wrote, then I thought that I’d go the bougie route with flecks, which I screwed up and ended back with a solid color :) With the flecks and anti slip grit the floor is pretty grippy.

As for the crack, the epoxy and top coat feel hard over the sikaflex. Whether or not that will cause problems in time, we’ll have to see

So walls and ceiling B4.
Agreed, it's better that way.

However I did the basement floor, then painted the basement walls. That's because the epoxy was solvent based, and took two+ weeks to clear out. Did that before we moved in. The paint was latex, so could paint while we lived there.

There's a running joke with my wife. She says I could paint a house in a suit and not ruin it. She'll look at a closed can and have paint on her somewhere. :) One of the first times I was painting with her (25 years ago), I opened a can, and went to move something. She had dipped a brush in, turned and wiped a 3" wide streak across my rear. That was the day I learned we DO NOT work the same way.

Back