2021 POTD Thread Archive

Today was a long but interesting day. Started my cold (-4 C) morning with no snow at home but as i got higher in the mountains there was more snow and it was colder (-8 C). I did made it to work but because i was first i lately plow the snow with the front bumper on the 605, you can see it in the picture on the left, yeah i did take the picture from indoors the wind was blowing hard. When i got to work i had some time to spare so i spent is as anyone else on online marketplace. There i found i tire shop clearing its used tire department. I gave them a call i asked for all the tire sizes on my cars but i've been late, never the less i asked for tires for a Niva and the lady there said sure we have few. I made a reservation and after work i went there they had a lot of junk tires with old old date codes but that did not discouraged me i restaked all the tires they had and made me two piles one with junk tires and good rims and one with good tires and rims. The big boss come out and first words out of his mouth was can i hire you. I looked at him for an explanation he said from 15 guys that are here in work gear you did not ask for help at all and did all that tire stacking without a mark on your coat, i guess he was watching me. I told him i'm happily employed and i got back on task told him one stalk is just for the rims other is tires and rims. He said i was planning of scraping the rims for steel and i have a truck coming for junk tires, so i made him an offer i'll demount the tires on his machines and pay him less then i was told on the phone per tire. I was expecting for him to say no, but he did the opposite told me much cheaper price and said my guys will demount them and bring them to your house, and that is what they did they loaded them in a van i went to his office to pay him, and he also gave me 4 continental aluminium valve stems. The van follow me home and i helped them unload it and now i have tires and factory rims for days for very little money. My thoughts are the guy there was having troubles with his lazy employees and this was a way to teach them a lesson.
IMG_20210127_073356.jpgIMG_20210127_180816.jpgIMG_20210129_195700.jpgIMG_20210129_195653.jpg

I cut a 3/32" Kydex cover to fit over the leadscrew of my vise. I covered the back of the cover with sticky backed magnetic sheet so that I can stick it onto the vise and keep chips out of the leadscrew and vise body.

I like this a lot and may want to make one. What is Kydex? A type of plastic?

You can find kydex at a local leather supply store. They like them for forming holster clips among other things.

joe

This is a “lathe dog driving pin offset bracket”. It is stick welded with E7010A1 and then given a brazed fillet over that on top.

This gets the dog driving pin closer to the tail of a small lathe dog. Requires the use of a reduced shank dead center.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
The big boss come out and first words out of his mouth was can i hire you. I looked at him for an explanation he said from 15 guys that are here in work gear you did not ask for help at all and did all that tire stacking without a mark on your coat, i guess he was watching me. I told him i'm happily employed and i got back on task told him one stalk is just for the rims other is tires and rims. He said i was planning of scraping the rims for steel and i have a truck coming for junk tires, so i made him an offer i'll demount the tires on his machines and pay him less then i was told on the phone per tire. I was expecting for him to say no, but he did the opposite told me much cheaper price and said my guys will demount them and bring them to your house, and that is what they did they loaded them in a van i went to his office to pay him, and he also gave me 4 continental aluminium valve stems. The van follow me home and i helped them unload it and now i have tires and factory rims for days for very little money. My thoughts are the guy there was having troubles with his lazy employees and this was a way to teach them a lesson.
Happy for you! A willingness to actually do something, rather than passively expecting "somebody else" to take care of it, is nearly always appreciated.

My two twenty-something sons are using painting small models as a distraction during the lock-down.

I'd often see them watching TV while shaking a little paint bottle or two; that gave me an idea.

I pulled together some parts: aluminum t-slot extrusion, some matching bolt and nuts, a couple scraps of aluminum round and angle....grind the teeth off a well-used sawzall blade.......

all_parts.jpg

The cups or clamp pads were drilled and bored, before being brazed to short scraps of aluminum angle:
(I used bernzomatic brazing rods)
clamp_pads1.jpg

clamp_pads2.jpg

The short socket-head cap screw heads go in the slot in the extrusion to keep the clamp pads from spinning the wrong way during adjustment.

full.jpg

The paint shaker is driven by my cordless Milwaukee Hackzall.

Does it shake?

Yes it does:

View attachment shaker.mp4

A fun and useful little project.

-brino

Back