POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

When an engine lift won't cut it, and every rental yard in the PNW is out of forklifts, you can rent a reach lift... Only cost me $950 for 30 minutes use! Yes, the dent in the door flashing was from the boom. This was last week. And a shop without a lathe is worse than a shop without a drill press... or maybe a bench grinder. Or 10mm sockets.
If the engine hoist won't do it, it gets blocked up and put on a pallet jack. However for 'small' things, the engine hoist is faster. For the record, I have dented sheet metal with the tractor. And it hurts even more when it's brand new sheet metal, lol.

Yep, not looking foreword to the shop without the lathe. I'm already running into things I should do on the lathe, but can't! Right now I'm imagining a tooling block in the CNC mill vise and G code to 'turn' parts in the mill... ...seen a few youtube videos, and this might be the chance to try that out.

That reminds me, the 1/4" drive 10mm in my set is still misplaced...

You have 10mm sockets that you can find?! Luxury!
I think I have them all - those and 12 or 13mm sockets are all I seem to find on the road. I'd have to dig them out and count them, but I must have 8 or 10 of each :)

Tool less carriage lock.
I get annoyed if I have to reach for a wrench for every little thing, so I have been going tool less if I can.
This one I have thought about for so long, and with time on my hands, I whipped one out. I am thinking of making a sleeve, rather than turning a handle.. we'll see.

Tool_less_carriage_lock.jpg

I want to do something for the reverse gears. Sucks having to open the gear cover try to loosen the square bolt then close the cover then do it again.

I want to do something for the reverse gears. Sucks having to open the gear cover try to loosen the square bolt then close the cover then do it again.
I keep a square wrench on it full time. It just sticks out and makes it good to go. I could have made another square bolt then bought another wrench, but this was just as easy.

Nice, I've been meaning to do the same for my sb, I'll add it to the list.

I went out to do some tidying up, little jobs and the like, and wondered why one of fans (I have 3) was making an odd sound. Took the cover off and one of the blades was flopping around, so good to fix that before doing anything else, by which time I had forgotten what I went in there to do!IMG20220720124622.jpg

While out shopping a few days ago, I heard a 'pop', then my car's coolant irrigated the
parking lot. Went shopping, to let it cool down, before I opened the hood
and found that a heater hose fitting had failed. It was just a tee fitting,
but it was in three parts.

So, open the toolbox in the trunk, and check out the local hardware
stores... replaced the straight-through section with a deep socket (even
allows through flow, though I don't need heater function in July), and the
branch got plugged with a dowel (OK, really the handle of a disposable
paintbrush). That and some water refill got the car home.

Due to my packrat nature, I found enough plumbing fittings in odd sizes
to rebuild a functional tee, just needed to hacksaw stubs off threaded pipe
and reuse a reducing tee (in an oddball size) left over from a water-cooled
gizmo. The machining was primitive, though: just some work with hacksaw
and cleaning up threads.Tee three ways.jpg

I keep a square wrench on it full time. It just sticks out and makes it good to go. I could have made another square bolt then bought another wrench, but this was just as easy.
I do not have another square wrench at the moment.

db2add6bcbcbf1117de0200077cfe6e9.jpg

ff743451b14440a6f1233312903eb3f9.jpg

Today I installed a multistage filter and dryer for my compressor with a manifold so now I can have the plasma and the mill connected and don’t need to swap out hoses.

Plus the quality air connectors from McMaster mean I have no audible air leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back