Power Feed For Taiwan Drill Press

Micke S

Active User
Registered
I use this drill press a lot for drilling, and for milling when the vintage bench mill is too small. I've had a power feed on it but the solution was too weak. It uses a windscreen wiper motor and it went south without much use.

So I'm now changing to a much larger wiper motor and also put a flexible joint in between. The support fixture between the table and motor remains to fabricate. It will be two 1, 25 " studs from the table to a 1/2 inch plate on the motor gear house.

DSC03790.JPG DSC01209.JPG DSC03787.JPG

I use this drill press a lot for drilling, and for milling when the vintage bench mill is too small.[/ATTACH]

You say you use drill press for milling? Does it have a drawbar style spindle? I hope so, otherwise the chuck can fall out as there is nothing to hold it in with no up pressure on it. Just asking. :)
Mark

Yes it has a drawbar with M12 thread.

The Power Feed is now ready and tested without remarks. It is just to get a braided nylon sleeve to the wiring from the controller to the motor.

I usually sit down when I mill, so the switches are placed low. The power supply is a 8.5 amps switched DC-unit.

DSC03800.JPG

DSC03791.JPG

DSC03792.JPG

DSC03799.JPG

DSC03798.JPG

Wiring ready and I installed a Forward-Off-Rear switch on the motor as well. It makes it easier to control the motor to hit a punch mark. The solution runs smooth and silent.

20150413_175823.jpg

The inner joint is locked to the shaft by a 1/4" screw with a 3/4" wide knurled head. It locks into the shafts keyway. I first used an Allen head screw but replaced it to eliminate the need for a tool. Another possibility is to make a spring loaded locking pin but the screw works fine and it just take a second or two to release it.

Another thought was to use four studs. But I only use two since it became a lot more rigid than expected.
20150413_175823.jpg

Last edited:
Back