Practice CAD model and rendering

Ken226

Registered
Registered
Sometimes for practice, I like like to model on the drawings from the Carreras Soto collection, from blogspot. This is a "Punzonadora De Balancin" (Rocker Punch Machine). The drawings aren't perfect. Sometimes a few dimensions have to be guessed at. :)

It's excellent practice and will keep ya learning.

The CAD assembly after modeling the parts and assembling them:

The drawing and model rendered as an image, with Keyshot 11:

Last edited:
Just wanted to add another T. Carreras Soto model I finished up this morning. Excellent practice.

This is a Silbato Para Vapor (Steam whistle) for an old-school steam locomotive, I think. The threads callouts were some work to figure out. They were mostly 55 degree Whitworth with mm major diameters but weird TPI pitches and a couple British Pipe Thread callouts. I'm not sure whats up with the 16mm x 19 tpi Whitworth threads! :oops:

Rendered in burnished brass.

Last edited:
Very nice work, I love the old school drawing as background to the rendering.

Very nice work, I love the old school drawing as background to the rendering.

The old drawings are pretty much all you have to go on.

I've been getting them from studycam, modeling them, then inserting the original drawing as a background image while rendering the model.

It's a fun challenge trying to come up with ways to model some of the weird geometry in some of these. The upper and lower portions of the handle on that jack were pretty tough to do.

Last edited:
This one was from a few weeks ago, but I just got around to rendering the image.

"Embolo Para Vapor", Steam Piston.

Finding the right section to show the internal geometry.

Last edited:
Not to steal your thread Ken226 but I did a quick render along the "drawing as background" idea and had to share.

render one.JPG

render 2.JPG

Last edited:

Attachments

• Carreras soto 12_15.png
    Carreras soto 12_15.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back