Practice CAD model and rendering

Thanks for these @Ken226
I've just been turned on to Alibre Atom3D and am very impressed with it so far.

I'm very happy with it so far. It's similar enough Inventor and Solidworks that it's very easy to learn. I love that its a lifetime license and it isn't cloud based. All of my files are saved locally.

It's also different enough from them that it's very easy to get frustrated when you find something that your accustomed to has a very different workflow than Inventor or Solidworks. As a 10+ year Inventor user, I've found alot of things that Alibre makes you do the old-fashioned way, whereas Inventor had an "easy button".

Atom even moreso. Atom can do pretty much anything that the higher-end versions can do, but there aren't near as many easy-buttons. I've been considering buying an Atom license just to use it as a training tool for myself. It basically takes away many of the easy buttons and makes you learn to do things the hard way.

The Alibre forum is very, very helpful. The CEO of the company posts there and occasionally helps out when members have trouble with something. They take alot of user input from the forum when updating the software versions. I'm using the beta test version of the soon to be released V26 currently, and am really liking it.

@Ken226 I sprang for Atom3D on Cyber Monday so got it for $99 which seem like a crazy good deal.

@Ken226 I sprang for Atom3D on Cyber Monday so got it for $99 which seem like a crazy good deal.

If you got "maintenance", V26 will be released soon and has quite a few updates. It uses a new .svg based interface/graphics with more options for color schemes, etc. The icons all look more sharp, and scale better for different resolutions.

I'm assuming the version you got now is V25, which is still quite good. V26 should be released later this month.

If you got "maintenance", V26 will be released soon and has quite a few updates. It uses a new .svg based interface/graphics with more options for color schemes, etc. The icons all look more sharp, and scale better for different resolutions.

I'm assuming the version you got now is V25, which is still quite good. V26 should be released later this month.
I did buy maintenance too so looks like I'm good for v26 :)

I converted the Voron CAD model over to Alibre, over the last couple days.

Then added all of the parts I designed, remixed or borrowed for my own Voron 2.4, and rendered some images. It's even got my magnetic panel clips.MyVoron2.4-1.25.pngVoron2.4r2 Pic1.30.png

These rollback skids are great! Just unplug it, roll it back onto the skids, and you can work on the electronics.

Voron2.4r2 Pic1.31.jpgVoron2.4r2 Pic1.36.jpg

@7milesup will be able to appreciate these renderings :). Btw: How's yours running? How many hours you up to?

Voron2.4r2 Pic1.33.jpgVoron2.4r2 Pic1.34.jpg

Voron2.4r2 Pic1.35.jpg

Attachments

• Voron2.4r2 Pic1.29.png
    Voron2.4r2 Pic1.29.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • MyVoron2.4-1.26.jpg
    MyVoron2.4-1.26.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
^^ very cool! ^^

I'm in awe of you guys.
I use a pencil and a protractor.

A 3.3 liter twin row 10 cylinder radial. Working out the firing order and cam geometry is hugely fun. In order to get a 1, 3, 5, 2, 4, sequential firing order, fhis one ended up with a 1/6 cam ring gear ratio and 3 intake / 3 exhaust lobes, spaced 120 degrees apart. The second row of cylinders has the same firing order, but 180 degrees from the first row.

Early Image.2.jpgMurderHornet1 Rear.3.jpgWithProp1.4.jpgWithProp2.5.jpg

Last edited:
A 3.3 liter twin row 10 cylinder radial. Working out the firing order and cam geometry is hugely fun. In order to get a 1, 3, 5, 2, 4, sequential firing order, fhis one ended up with a 1/6 cam ring gear ratio and 3 intake / 3 exhaust lobes, spaced 120 degrees apart. The second row of cylinders has the same firing order, but 180 degrees from the first row.

View attachment 484051View attachment 484052View attachment 484053View attachment 484054
I think you need to build it to ensure that you got the firing order and cam geometry completely correct! ;-)

Very nice work.

GsT

Back