Pratt & Whitney Model C 12x30 lathe

motormech1

Kenny
H-M Supporter Gold Member
For your consideration, an early 40's P&W model C 12x30. It started life as a tool room lathe in the old tobacco factory in downtown Durham, NC and was rescued when the factory shut down by an old guy I know that restores Stearman bi-planes. It sat unused for a while and was given to me when he needed room in his shop. It appears to be in great condition for its age other than some flash rust and a paint job. It needs a few minor things but came with an old period correct 3 jaw chuck in good shape and fortunately still had it's tail stock but lacks any other tooling. I'll be posting what I do to it in the near future when I get to it. It's been in a corner of my shop for about 8 yrs. waiting for me to get time to work on it. Keep y'all posted.IMG_1071.jpgIMG_1067.jpgIMG_1078.jpg20150214_171801.jpg

Attachments

• 20150214_171801.jpg
    20150214_171801.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1077.jpg
    IMG_1077.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 16
Nice score , P&W made precision machines . When all cleaned up and painted that machine will look great . Does your P&W have a collet system ?

For your consideration, an early 40's P&W model C 12x30. It started life as a tool room lathe in the old tobacco factory in downtown Durham, NC and was rescued when the factory shut down by an old guy I know that restores Stearman bi-planes. It sat unused for a while and was given to me when he needed room in his shop. It appears to be in great condition for its age other than some flash rust and a paint job. It needs a few minor things but came with an old period correct 3 jaw chuck in good shape and fortunately still had it's tail stock but lacks any other tooling. I'll be posting what I do to it in the near future when I get to it. It's been in a corner of my shop for about 8 yrs. waiting for me to get time to work on it. Keep y'all posted.

Congratulations on your find. From what I can see, it looks complete and in pretty decent shape. Interesting history, too. I also have a 12c. It is a 1954. I did a restoration on this machine, and I’ve posted a few pictures of it after the restoration. If you’re interested, you can also find my restoration documented on the Practical Machinist forum (link below.)

I personally believe these are one of the best toolroom lathes of this size ever made. Best not to get me started on why as I could ramble on. Congratulations again on finding your machine.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/forum/threads/pratt-whitney-12c-restoration-pictures.402002/

IMG_0469.jpg IMG_0470.jpg IMG_0471.jpg IMG_0472.jpg

Thanks man. Wow, you did a beautiful job on it! I'll definitely check out the resto. link. I might have some questions for you when I finally start digging in to it. I really like your splash guard/tool holder/light and had something similar in mind but I like yours better! I wish I had a steady rest too but I don't see much tooling for these very often if ever.

I was hoping the Tailstock P and W would show up again. It is the only lathe I've seen that would get me into a fourth machine. Really outstanding and it turns as good as it looks. Dave

Back